Statistical quote of the day

noetsi

Fortran must die
In the 2009 ISI Web of science the article by Sir David Cox on cox regression was cited over 1,000 times. This made it the most highly cited journal aricle in the entire literarture of statistics.

I found that really surprising.

This is a comment about Cox [his creation of maximum partial likelihoo specifically] by Paul Allison, a professor at the U of Pennsylvania.

"But the partial likelihood method [raised by Cox in the article above] is something completely different. It took years for statisticians to fully understand and appreciate this novel approach to estimation."

It is amazing for anyone to be that far ahead of some obviously very smart peers. I guess he deserved his knighthood.:p

Last edited:

noetsi

Fortran must die
I found this amusing in a useful section on pitfalls of Rsquared

Beware the "RSQ putdown": "Your RSQ is only 30 percent? Your results are useless". People
who say that often do not really know what they are talking about.

lol there is a lot of that going around in statistics in the popular culture.

"The fact that statistical inference uses mathematics does not imply that there is only one resonable or useful way to conduct analysis. Engineering uses math as well, but there are many ways to build a bridge."

R McElreath ""Statistical Rethinking" 2016

rogojel

TS Contributor
"The fact that statistical inference uses mathematics does not imply that there is only one resonable or useful way to conduct analysis. Engineering uses math as well, but there are many ways to build a bridge."

R McElreath ""Statistical Rethinking" 2016
Exactly! I always say that stats is engineering not math :)))

"There couldn't be a more promising field of endeavor than statistics in 2015, a combination of logic, philosophy, mathematics, computation, and science!"

Bradley Efron 2015

rogojel

TS Contributor
This reminds me of some random wisdom I received one day:

"If I have not seen so far it is because I stood in giant's footsteps" - Linux Fortune

Which is inspiring, and a warning, sometimes focusing too much on what the great names of old have done, will blind you to what is obviously the best path forward now.

If you only follow great men, you will never leave their shadows.
My favorite - the importance of a scientist is measured by amount of time he hinders progress in his field (Stephen Jay Gould IIRC)

Dragan

Super Moderator
Well, "The people that worry me the most are the individuals who don't know, and, they don't know that they don't know."

Me