Statistical significance between placebo group and test group

Hi. I need to work out whether or not the difference in number of deaths between a placebo group and a test group is statistically significant. I’d be grateful if someone was able to explain which test is best and how I should go about this. Thanks.

Karabiner

TS Contributor
How were the data sampled (study design), how large are the respective groups,
and how many deaths were observed in each group?

With kind regards

Karabiner

Karabiner

TS Contributor
If observation period(s) were the same for all participants, then you can use Fisher's exact test for
a 2x2 table (test/placebo versus dead /alive).

With kind regards

Karabiner

Karabiner

TS Contributor
I thought of the possibility that observation time was different between groups, and therefor survival anaysis should be used.
But maybe the information that it is a randomized design with a placebo control group suggests that they had controlled this.

Is time to death important since those rates seem comparable.
Hi. No. They are very similar. Some people are arguing that because 7 is more than 5 then the trial drug increases the number of deaths. I can see that’s not the case but wanted to assure myself that this had a scientific basis. Thanks for taking an interest.

I thought of the possibility that observation time was different between groups, and therefor survival anaysis should be used.
But maybe the information that it is a randomized design with a placebo control group suggests that they had controlled this.
It was a randomised double blind trial. Thanks.

hlsmith

Less is more. Stay pure. Stay poor.
Well I have an example I use that shows the 10-year mortality rate between two treatments is the same, but the rates across time are drastically different. Since the placebo group all dies within 2 years and the intervention group dies about 6-8 years post exposure. Thus a cross-sectional comparison misses this difference. How, perhaps your outcomes are immediate, which would make this a mote point. @Karabiner - it is hard to control for this even if you have discete time intervals for data collection without using survival analysis. However, you could add time to a multiple variable regression to try and remove its effect.