Statistically demonstrating that group has more outliers?

I am analyzing some research data and got stuck analyzing it. So I would really appreciate any help I could get at this point.

I have 3 different species. Species A has 2 individuals and 23 measurements. Species B has 6 individuals and 101 measurements. Species B also has 6 individuals but 111 measurements. The daI am analyzing some research data and got stuck analyzing it.

I have 3 different species. Species A has 2 individuals and 23 measurements. Species B has 6 individuals and 101 measurements. Species B also has 6 individuals but 111 measurements. The data are not normally distributed.

There does not appear to be much of a difference between species. However, one species has a lot of outliers whereas the others have relatively tightly clustered data. I believe that the outliers are biologically significant and would like to statistically express that species B has more outliers than the others. I am at a loss on how to do this though and would really appreciate your help.

So at this point I am stuck on figuring out what type of test would be good for me to use and why.

I would really appreciate your help and thank you so much in advance!

An elementary approach might be to test for significant differences among the variances of the three species. Try googing "test for difference in variance."

Thank you so much for your reply! I should have probably specified my problem a little more. I ran a bootstrap resampling test to run an ANOVA and t-tests. Those are non-significant. However, one of the groups has a ton of outliers. They play much less of a role after resampling, which is the point, of course. The only problem is that I think those outliers actually make a difference biologically. So I was asked to show the greater variation statistically in a manuscript revision, but I am a little stuck on how to do that. Thank you again for your comment!

Two possibilities come immediately to mind. The first would be to analyze the data using mixed linear models. You run two models: one that assumes that the variance is the same across species, and another with a separate variance parameter for each species. You can then compare the fit of the two models using a likelihood ratio test, AIC, or BIC.

The second approach would be to run a Bayesian analysis using a model that included separate variance parameters for each species. The result would be a posterior distribution for each variance parameter, from which you can easily calculate the probability that the variance of the species of interest is greater than the other two and/or obtain credible intervals for each variance parameter or for difference between any pair of them.