Statistics Hypothesis Help (Reject or fail to reject null?)

Hi all,
I have got questions regarding Alternative and Null Hypotheses, but it confuses me, and well I just need help as I keep getting stuck on two questions, both about hypothesis but I'm only here to ask about one.
The question alters a little each attempt, like the following:

(We were told sampling error is the standard error times the z-score)
  1. The alternative hypothesis is that the mean is different than 45, if the sampling error is 12(Standard error times the z-score), and the sample mean is 59, do we:
  2. The alternative hypothesis is that the mean is greater than 10, if the sampling error is 3, and the sample mean is 12, do we:
  3. The alternative hypothesis is that the mean is less than 5, if the sampling error is 2, and the sample mean is 8, do we:
  4. The alternative hypothesis is that the proportion is different than 60%, if the sampling error is 18%, and the sample proportion is 76%, do we:

• Reject the null
  • Accept the null
  • Cannot reject the null.

I believe a null hypothesis can not be accepted so that should be out of the equation, but i still do not know how to work it out.

Can someone explain to me how to work questions like this out and the explanations of the 3 answers? Especially the difference between accept the null, and cannot reject the null.

Many Thanks to all,
Ji

Last edited: