Stuck on a simple problem

The problem is as follows: The amount of money bob earns has an expected value of $30,000 and a standard deviation of $3000. The amount fo money that his wife sandy earns has an expected value of $32,000 and and standard deviation of $5000. Determine the values eanring of this families:

a) expected value
b) standard deviation

I have been told that these are independant and I have calculated the variance for part B but still cannot figure out what to do next.

JohnM

TS Contributor
For independent variables:

(a) the total expected value is the sum of the individual expected values

(b) the total standard deviation is the square root of the sum of the individual variances

Thanks for the help I think I was actually doing it all wrong, I have the mean to be $31,000 and the square root of that to be $176.07. Now do I subtract that number by the Standard deviations given then add those and divde by 2 to find my overal S.D?

Also for part A is $63,000 correct? It seemed like it was a bit to easy.

JohnM

TS Contributor
midvinter said:
Thanks for the help I think I was actually doing it all wrong, I have the mean to be $31,000 and the square root of that to be $176.07. Now do I subtract that number by the Standard deviations given then add those and divde by 2 to find my overal S.D?

Also for part A is $63,000 correct? It seemed like it was a bit to easy.
part a is correct.

for part b, square each standard deviation, then add them together, and take the square root of the sum.