t-tests

how do you perform these on spss? im wanting to see if there are differences in repsonses on a likert scale question between students and non students... so how do i put this onto spss? there are 19 variables ( statements from the likert scale )

Ava

This is my limited understanding

When you open up a new file, go to variable view and define your variables. Then under data view you can enter your responses.

Decide what type of t-test, one sample, independent or dependent. Under Analyze pick compare means it then gives you the different choices of t-tests to run.

Hope that helps.
Ava

TheEcologist

Global Moderator
how do you perform these on spss? im wanting to see if there are differences in repsonses on a likert scale question between students and non students... so how do i put this onto spss? there are 19 variables ( statements from the likert scale )
Likert responses should be treated as ordinal data and central tendency can therefore be summerized by the median or the mode (however not by the mean). A T-test tests for differences in the mean and is generally meant for continous normally distributed data. Likert scale data can be be analyzed using non-parametric tests as the Mann-Whitney U test (which tests for differences in the median).

In SPSS under Analyze -> Nonparametric Tests -> and choose your test

see also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Likert_scale