Teachers Competence and Students Performance?

juno

Hi to all research experts here...

I hope you can help me with my simple inquiry about the two variables: teachers competence and students' performance. I know I can test the relationship between the two. However, can I also get the significant difference between the two variables? Why? because in my study, I will assess the teachers' competence through teaching standards.. and what i observed from the standard indicators, it focus more on the competence of the teachers in teaching during classroom observation and does not reflect the performance of the students using formative assessment.

So, what i would like to prove is that teachers may have a good rating for teachers competence but may not reflect to the performance of the students. Or the students may have good performance in the formative assessment but may not guarantee of good rating in the classroom observation.

so, can you help me to check what statistical tool to use, if it is possible to compute the test of difference between the two variables.

Thanks.

obh

Hu Juno,
can I also get the significant difference between the two variables?
Thanks.
This is not a correct sentence. This would be correct if the teacher would also perform the tests and you would compare the results of the teachers with the results of the students ...but I assume you didn't mean for that.

You probably may run linear regression, if it meets the assumptions, while the DV is the students' performance and the IV is the teachers' competence.
Can you please support more data about your model? how do you measure the teachers' competence.?

juno

Hi obh, thanks for your comment.. yeah I look at it now on testing only the relationship of the two variables and to get the significant difference between the two since it's impossible... so after the correlation then i will apply analysis of data.. thanks again for your reply.

obh

Hi Juno,

I assume you want to get the relationship between the two variables, not the difference between the two... as I wrote before.

how do you measure the teachers' competence.?

noetsi

Fortran must die
"So, what i would like to prove is that teachers may have a good rating for teachers competence but may not reflect to the performance of the students. Or the students may have good performance in the formative assessment but may not guarantee of good rating in the classroom observation."

It would seem then that the regression would teacher competence as a predictor versus student performance.

I am no expert on this, but I think you should be dealing with the measurement literature not the regression literature.