Test of relationship? What data analysis do I use ?

Taks

Hello,
I’ve just joined and am in need of any help that I can get. Basically I wanted to test whether phubbing ( snubbing someone to use your phone) impacts relationship satisfaction, sense of self-worth and respect for your partner.

Does anyone know what statistical analyses I would need to perform to test this.

This is the data I’ll be collecting:
Phubbing scale is 9 items rated on 5 point likert scale.
The couples satisfaction index is a 32 items rated on 5 point likert scale.
Respect for your partner scale is 6 items rated on on 5 point likert scale.
Rosenberg self esteem scale is 10 items rated on 4 point likert scale.

Any help i would appreciate so much, the question is probably dumb but I’m really confused with all the types of data and analysis methods.

Karabiner

TS Contributor
Chubbing scale is 9 items rated on 5 point likert scale.
Careful! Likert Scale is the name of the 9-item-instrument, not the name of the answering format of single items.

As far as I can see, you could perform correlation analyses. 3 Pearson correlations (i.e. between phubinng and the other scales).

With kind regards

Karabiner

Taks

Hi,
Thanks for your response!
Just wondering, could it be appropriate to conduct a spearman’s rho instead of pearsons?
Would this make a difference? Sorry for all the questions, this is for a research proposal and I want to make sure I pick the most appropriate statistical test
Thank you,
Taks

Your use of Pearson or Spearman correlation tests depends on the assumptions of your study. Are the assumptions for Pearson;s being a parametric test obtained ? If not opt for Spearman's test which is non- parametric.