The proportion of twitter followers of handle X also following Y

OK, someone recently asked me what the probability that followers of Twitter handle X are also followers of Twitter handle Y. I used some R code (using the twitteR package) to get 47,000 followers from X and 61,000 followers of Y (the two handles have a LOT of followers). I created a vector and found that roughly 1200 data points were repeats (so 600 followers came up twice). My question now is, how do I find the proportion of shared followers. This is my reasoning:

p(A and B) = p(B)*p(A)

where the p(A and B) = probability of sampling someone who follows X and Y pages two times (once when sampling for X and once for the Y) = 1200/(61000+46000) = 1200/108000 = 0.011

p(A) = probability of sampling an X follower who also follows the Y

p(B) = the probability of sampling an Y follower who also follows the X

I am going to assume that p(A) = p(B).

so we can substitute 0.011 for p(A and B) and p(A) for p(B) to get:
0.011 = p(B)*p(B)

0.011 = p(B)^2

.104 = p(B) = p(A)
So, roughly 10% of X's followers also follow Y's. Am I correct in this line of reasoning? Is there anything I am missing?

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
I don't believe you are and I don't really follow any of your logic. But you have the data so you could just compute it directly: (# of people that follow both X and Y)/(# of people that follow X) will get you the proportion of X's followers that also follow Y. I couldn't completely follow your procedure but I think you're saying that there were 600 handles that were in both lists so that means the probability that an X follower also follows Y is 600/47000 which is roughly 1.3%

I don't believe you are and I don't really follow any of your logic. But you have the data so you could just compute it directly: (# of people that follow both X and Y)/(# of people that follow X) will get you the proportion of X's followers that also follow Y. I couldn't completely follow your procedure but I think you're saying that there were 600 handles that were in both lists so that means the probability that an X follower also follows Y is 600/47000 which is roughly 1.3%
Thanks for the reply. However, isn't there a pretty good chance that I sample someone from handle X that also follows handle Y, but that person was not in the handle Y sample? In that case, I would be underestimating the proportion of people who follow both. Does that make sense?

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Do you know how many followers each handle has? And how did you get your sample? Post your code if you can.

So handle X has roughly 6,000,000 followers and Y has roughly 300,000.

Here is the code (using twitteR package in R and data.table). The handle names have been replaced by X and Y

X <- getUser("X") #get information for X
X_follower_IDs <- X$getFollowers(retryOnRateLimit = 300) #get a sample of their followers (I stopped after a few minutes because it took so long - hence only 47,000 followers)
Xfollowerdf <- rbindlist(lapply(X_follower_IDs, as.data.frame)) #convert to data frame
Y <- getUser("Y")
Y_follower_IDs <- Y$getFollowers(retryOnRateLimit = 300) #Again, I stopped after a few minutes, and got about 61000 followers
Yfollowerdf <- rbindlist(lapply(Y_follower_IDs, as.data.frame))
combineddf <- data.frame(
followers = c(Yfollowerdf$screenName, Xfollowerdf$screenName),
Y = c(rep("Y", length(Yfollowerdf$screenName)), rep("X", length(Xfollowerdf$screenName))))