The Talkstats Bookclub

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
It would make sense to move to the next chapter. I read through it earlier today so I could answer questions about it but it wasn't too exciting for me. Other options we could explore are 1) to move either to a chapter more people would be interested in participating in or 2) choose another book to discuss for a while since TheEcologist will be gone.

I think option 1 might be a little better since part of the reason we started where we did was to progress to the more interesting topics but still have the background necessary. I'm personally more interested in what the book has to say about generalized linear models which is what comes after ANCOVA so if we get through ANCOVA then I'll probably participate a little more.

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
I wondered what happened to everyone. Seems like the club died. Maybe stricture is not our best choice? Maybe we should instead have a "Book Discussion" where we simply discuss what we read in the book? People seem to want to go there own way with their limited time resources!

trinker

ggplot2orBust
I wondered what happened to everyone. Seems like the club died. Maybe stricture is not our best choice? Maybe we should instead have a "Book Discussion" where we simply discuss what we read in the book? People seem to want to go there own way with their limited time resources!
I think this may be a good direction.

Hi Guys,

I'm happy to start a new book. It seems that although useful the basic statistics chapters did not invoke "great enthusiasm" by the experts. So why not try something more advanced? Or something more controversial? And indeed change Club to a chapter discussion thread? With no close dates for the old chapters but only dates for opening new chapter discussion setup by the quick readers?

So what do you guys want to do? Continue with Crawley? Or get stuck into something more challenging?

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
If I have time I'd probably be more willing to spend some time in the later chapters of Crawley. The earlier stuff didn't interest me as much so I didn't have as much motivation there.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Would anybody be interested in going through Edward Tufte's "The Visual Display of Quantitative Information" at some point? I don't think I could start a book in December but maybe the beginning of January? I'm not aware of any electronic copies floating around but this is a great book and I'd love to go through it again and actually discuss some of the ideas in there.