Three-Way ANOVA

Hi all,

I am so confused. I have gone through my book over and over to figure this out. Ok, I understand how to perform an ANOVA, T-test or Z test with raw data. However I cannot grasp the idea of performing an ANOVA on Data that contains a Table of Means and a Table of Variances and just the basic info on the study itself (i.e. # of subjects, etc).

HERBEMD

JohnM

TS Contributor
You can work "backward" from the variances and sample sizes to get the sums of squares needed to fill in the ANOVA table....

Sum of Squares = variance * (n-1)

Three way anova

ok, john

WHen you say backward in my table of means I have two rows and four columns. If the mean of row one column one is 54 how can I figure out the SS. For instance, I have 80 subjects but I have 10 in each condition. Would I multiply by 10 in order to obtain the SS? Because in order to obtain the mean I would have had to add the sum of all the scores for column one row one and dive them by ten in order to obtain 54 correct? Melinda

JohnM

TS Contributor
2 rows by 4 columns is actually a 2-way ANOVA

Does your text have a table that shows the formulas for determining the row and/or column SS and the interaction SS?

I can work on an example done in Excel, but it may take a while....