Transforming data in SPSS

Hi everyone,

Can anyone help me with a variable transformation problem on SPSS?

I'm trying to transform variable into a new variable in order to reverse the scores. At the moment 0 = no distress and 4 = high distress, but I want to reverse the values to match the scoring direction of another variable. So I would usually do Transform: Recode into different variable and enter the relevant terms.

My problem is that the variable values I'm trying to transform have decimal places (e.g. 0.8, 2.42). I have entered each value into the 'old' values box and entered the new value (e.g. 0.8 -> 3.2). This works for the whole numbers (e.g. 0, 1, 2, 3) and decimals that are quartiles (e.g. 1.0, 1.25, 1.5, 1.75). All of the values in between just disappear, though (e.g. 0.8), and I don't know why or what to do about it.

Can anyone help?

Hi Greta,

Yes I have, but realised I'd posted in the wrong board and could not see how to delete my original post? (Followed the instructions but do not see an 'edit' button?). If you could direct me on how to delete I'd appreciate it, so that I can post in the right location.