[TSFC] - 5,000 Push-ups

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Hey everybody,

I miss participating in some sort of fitness thread so I started a new Talk Stats Fitness Club thread. Running isn't really working for me right now but I just started the one hundred push ups program. It looks like I'll put in around 2,500 push ups by the end of the end of the six week program. I figured if somebody else did the program we could easily make 5,000. If nobody else joins I'll probably just keep on doing push ups on a regular basis and it would take me about 9-10 weeks total to read the goal. Feel free to join.

I have two days worth of push ups to add to the total -

0 + 109 = 109
PT: 109

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
I'm in! I used to do a similar program of my own. I would do 20 push ups, rest, say, 45 seconds and do another set. I would start with 5 the first day, once I could do all 5 sets, I'll do 6 the next day, etc. Once I reach 8 or 9 sets, I drop back down to 5 sets of 25. I continue in this fashion up to about 45-60 a set. Then I drop back down to 5 sets of 20, but with 30 second recoveries, and continue. The goal is to eventually get the recovery periods down to nothing. I might start with 1 minute recoveries and proceed the same way.

spunky

Smelly poop man with doo doo pants.
i'm surprised (in a good way) by how much people in this forum seem to be into working out and fitness-related stuff... i guess i always had the mental fixation that people in math/stats kinda looked mostly like terence tao or andrew wiles... (or me, for that matter)

spunky

i don't look anything , remotely, at all, like those guys.
well, i dont quite look as terence tao or andrew wiles either... buuut, as my real analysis prof used to say, "anyone can get a BSc. in math... but very few people can create new mathematics themselves..." and i do have to say a guilty pleasure of mine has always beent his ecto-meso-endomorph constitutional psychology/somatotyping kind of thing... because, at least in my personal experience, those guys and girls who i id'd right from the beginning as being considerably brighter in grasping more abstract mathematical ideas definitely looked a little bit more along the lines of what a traditional ectomorph or endomorph look like... which i find fascinating because, once you get hooked on math (or stats in this case) it's very easy to forget about everything else and just be fully consumed by your research (or at least that happens to me... to the point that i spend sleepless hours reading through difficult material or coding bizarre simulations in R...)

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
Here we go!

109 + 104 = 213 push ups

PT: 104

well, i dont quite look as terence tao or andrew wiles either... buuut, as my real analysis prof used to say, "anyone can get a BSc. in math... but very few people can create new mathematics themselves..." and i do have to say a guilty pleasure of mine has always beent his ecto-meso-endomorph constitutional psychology/somatotyping kind of thing... because, at least in my personal experience, those guys and girls who i id'd right from the beginning as being considerably brighter in grasping more abstract mathematical ideas definitely looked a little bit more along the lines of what a traditional ectomorph or endomorph look like... which i find fascinating because, once you get hooked on math (or stats in this case) it's very easy to forget about everything else and just be fully consumed by your research (or at least that happens to me... to the point that i spend sleepless hours reading through difficult material or coding bizarre simulations in R...)
I'm definitely an endomorph. I'm built like a linebacker, though. (Unfortunately, I wasn't into cardio in high school so I only played offensive line and defensive center). On a bad day, I could pass for a computer nerd, though. Especially if you find me in my underwear fixing my computer on the floor of my bedroom haha

spunky

I'm definitely an endomorph. I'm built like a linebacker, though. (Unfortunately, I wasn't into cardio in high school so I only played offensive line and defensive center). On a bad day, I could pass for a computer nerd, though. Especially if you find me in my underwear fixing my computer on the floor of my bedroom haha
i'm very much stereotypical ectomorph, longish, lankish.... extreeeeeemly bad at anything sports-related (or anything that requires the use of my body outside of my right hand and my brain)... and i do pass for a computer nerd most of the time, although i guess i've always had an emo/goth side that ranks me more on the "unusual" category...

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
I'm in worse shape than I thought. I'm contemplating continuing my routine at not even completing 4 sets of 20 or starting my routine at 5+ sets of 15 and building up from there. In any case,

277 + 109 = 386 push ups

PT: 104 + 109 = 213

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
Yeah, today I dropped back to sets of 15, which is good. I was feeling it on set 5, but knew I could tough it out. Then set 6 I was able to get 13 done, I bet I'll have all 6 tomorrow! I hate it, but I have to work at the level I'm at, which is quite deconditioned from where I used to be :(

386 + 125 = 511

PT: 213 + 125 = 338

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
Well I was too tired to do my routine yesterday, but I still did 30. I just did 86 at work (did them much more slowly ... it was much more painful! lol). I"ll combine the two figures, and may still do more tonight.

908 + 116 = 1024

PT: 601 + 116 = 717

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
I am definitely feeling the fatigue these days, but I'm still able to grunt out the sets. I felt like I wouldn't even be able to do 4x15 and I ended up doing all 6! I also put together my roommate's pull up stand, since I felt I was becoming imbalanced. Just doing some between rounds of Call of Duty and my forearms are killing me tonight! I did a set to exhaustion (25) after I rested from my 6x15 (1 min recoveries) and 10 on the 7th set.

1197 + 125 = 1322

PT: 790 + 125 = 915

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
Rawr! I decided to be a beast tonight! Also did some diamond ("close grip") push ups. It really put a strain on my shoulders, though. Don't know if that was in a good way! lol

1322 + 150 = 1472

PT: 915 + 150 = 1065

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Needless to say I never really finished my plan! I've been doing some pushups along with my running routine that I've been doing lately so maybe I'll start keeping track of them here again.