[TSRC] August 2011 Running Thread

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Alright! We reached the goal in the other thread to start us off and we came to a consensus (2 people!) to go for an overall goal of 100 miles by the end of August. We'll also keep track of personal totals and if we reach the group goal by the end of the month the person with the highest contribution will receive a special prize created by me! I didn't get the sense that many people used the kilometers in the other thread so unless there are serious objections I'm just going to post in miles. This thread will be active through the end of August and even if we reach our goal early please continue to post your runs in this thread to contribute toward your personal total. To start us off...

0 + 2 = 2 miles
PT: 2

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
2 + 2 = 4 miles

PT: 4

I think we should sticky active threads - so this one should get stickied right now and probably the current Book club thread.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Well you won't beat me (aka bring it on). If I win the special prize will be that I don't have to make the prize. It seems being lazy is a good motivator...

Also - I really want us to make the goal. I hope that doesn't mean I have to run 50 miles on the last day... that doesn't sound like it would be very conducive to keeping me alive.

trinker

ggplot2orBust
Message sent: 8/02/11 at 11:23 PM
bryangoodrich said:
Ugh, I'm going to make sure I use this as motivation, because I've been nothing but lazy for many days now! Expect a reply tonight!!
bryangoodrich I waited up for you, I can't wait any longer, I've got to got to bed;)

I'm on day 38 of 60 days of Insanity. It's getting pretty intense so I could only squeak out a mile. That puts me in third place :tup:

8.3 + 1 = 9.3 miles

PT: 1

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
Ugh, today sucked. I could (should?) have done another half-mile, but I thought I'd ease my way back into it, especially since my right knee has been hurting lately and I did leg extensions (still able to do double on my right vs my left, though; my left is the messed up one from March).

PT: 1.5

interestednew PT: 3.3 (yeah, I'll keep track so it's easier for me at the end :p haha)

Last edited by a moderator:

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
Message sent: 8/02/11 at 11:23 PM

bryangoodrich I waited up for you, I can't wait any longer, I've got to got to bed;)

I'm on day 38 of 60 days of Insanity. It's getting pretty intense so I could only squeak out a mile. That puts me in third place :tup:

8.3 + 1 = 9.3 miles

PT: 1
lol looks like we posted at the same time. I took a nap earlier. My sleep schedule is totally messed up, which is part of why I haven't been running in the past week. Even a mile was killing me! I'll be back to 2+ miles next week. No more excuses. Running everyday or Triple T will get me!

Have you tried P90X? I've heard some pretty awesome things about it, and have seen guys showing great results! I'm usually never into that kind of stuff, but I'd be willing to give that a try. Though, I do just need to get disciplined and push myself. I used to be great at that, but the voice in my head has gotten fat and lazy too haha

trinker

ggplot2orBust
Ugh, today sucked. I could (should?) have done another half-mile, but I thought I'd ease my way back into it, especially since my right knee has been hurting lately and I did leg extensions (still able to do double on my right vs my left, though; my left is the messed up one from March).
Now I feel bad for busting your chops :(

bryangoodrich said:
Have you tried P90X? I've heard some pretty awesome things about it, and have seen guys showing great results!
No. Looks awesome, and I heard Tony Whaterverhislastnameis is quite humorous, but I can't afford 1 1/2 hours every day for 3 months. Plus you have to buy bands and have equipment. With insanity most days are 45-60 minutes and the only thing I needed to buy was a water bottle and running shoes (and a towel for all the sweat).

We're on pace at about 10 miles every 3 days to meet our goal.
We need a few more people involved and some of us (me :)) to run more.

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
Pff, busting my chops is fine. It's called motivation! lol

PT: 3

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
Oh yeah, will try to go later today. Forgot to record last night's workout.

Timestamp: 05 August 2011

12.3 + 1.5 = 13.8 miles

PT: 4.5

trinker

ggplot2orBust
Just calculated what we need each day to make out 100 mile goal:
3.23 miles per day

We should have 22.58 miles by the close of today to be on track.

We're at 16.3 miles currently.

We need about 6.3 miles more today to catch up.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
16.3 + 3 = 19.3

PT: 5 + 3 = 8

----------
Code:
Current Totals:

Name  Total
1         Dason   8.0
2 bryangoodrich   4.5
3       trinker   3.5
4 interestednew   3.3
By making the table above I realized that 1 mile got lost along the way. When trinker and bryangoodrich posted at the same time nobody corrected the mistake so trinker's 1 mile run on the 4th didn't get added to the grand total. I updated all the posts so everything is up to date now.

Last edited:

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
I think we only need about 3.3 actually so if you put in your run and somebody else does a 1-1.5 mile run we'll be on schedule.

halfnormal was talking about how they would have won in the other thread... I hope they log a few runs here!

trinker

ggplot2orBust
My wife is sick today so I was on baby duty most of the day. I enjoy baby duty but that means less time to work out. Didn't get in as much as I had wanted.

19.3 + 1.5 = 20.8

PT 5
(watch out bryangoodrich :))

We're off pace to reach our goal by about 2.5 miles. We can do this! (I just realized that's an Insanity quote. Hehehe. Behavioralism. Who knew?)

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
I didn't go yesterday, but I did one mile "warm-up" at 6.0 mph, and then did a quick stretch before doing running intervals: 2 min @ 7.5 mph (8 min/mile) with 3 min @ 5.0 mph (12 min/mile?). So in total 4 splits for 2 miles in 20 minutes. But my rest periods were shorter, and did usually 5.0-5.5 mph so I ended up doing 2 miles in 18:40 (9:20 min/mile average). This was big for me, and my knee is going to hate me tomorrow! But, needed to make up for last night and needed to do another interval. Look out! I felt good afterward! I might start making 2.5-3 normal ;)

PT: 7.5