Two-Sample Interpretation of data

Ok this one if gonna be a little hard to copy from the book....

Q:

A study of the self-concept of seventh-grade students asked if male and female students differ in mean scores on the Piers-Harris Self Concept Scale. Software gave these summary results:

Female
n = 31
mean = 55.5165
std dev = 12.6961
std err = 2.2803

Male
n =47
mean = 57.9149
std dev = 12.2649
std err = 1.7890

t = -0.8276
df = 62.8
P = 0.4110

Write a sentence or two summarizing the comparison of female and male students as if you were preparing a report for publication.

In the comparison of female and male students, the male students averaged a higher score than the females on the Piers-Harris Self Concept Scale, however only slightly. The study is not a very good means of predicting the overall score differences as the P = 0.4110. The std err was larger for the females as their sample size was smaller.....

Ok, I give up! I have no idea how I'm supposed to answer this so I'll stop babbling! Please help!

Thanks in advance!

JohnM

TS Contributor
Write out the hypotheses (Ho and Ha) and explain whether the evidence supports:

rejecting Ho or

failing to reject Ho

and why.

Ok, so I have a feeling that I'm a little weak in the area of interpreting data, but this is what I see it to mean:

Ho: m = f
Ha: m (does not equal) f

With the evidence provided by the data, we must accept the null hypothesis.

The probability that this outcome occured by chance is 41%, which is a quite high possibility. Therefore, we can conclude that the mean difference in male and female scores is approximately equal.

Is there more I can elaborate on? The question only asked for a couple of sentences. Did I get this mixed up or did I interpret it correctly?

Thanks in advance :)

JohnM

TS Contributor
Change "must accept" to "fail to reject" and

change "approximately equal" to "not significantly different"