URGENT Help - Transverse vs Non-Transverse Analysis

Hi everyone,

I have to do an analysis for a transverse vs non-transverse patterning experiment that was structured in two continuous parts. There are 148 participants with a few outliers, and each TP and NTP were completed in 3 phases. A minimum of 14 correct answers were needed to proceed to the next part.

I’m contemplating discussing that it takes more attempts in completing TP tasks rather than NTP tasks. Perhaps even seeing if age affects attempt numbers.

Which SPSS analysis do I need to complete this?

I am really at a loss and the assignment is due in one week (which gives me enough time to do a full report).

Your help is a tremendous need! Thank you!

What is a "transverse patterning experiment"?
Basically about human learning, amnesia and memory. Here’s a summary:

In Phase 1, a single pair of objects (A and B) is presented visually, side-by-side, and the subject must select one of the objects. For this pair, one object (e.g., A) is always correct, regardless of whether it appears to the left or right of B on a given trial.

In Phase 2, the (A, B) pair is again presented on half of the trials, and a new pairing (B, C) is presented on half of the trials, with the correct response being B.

In Phase 3, a third pair (C, A) is added to the mix (correct response is C), so that the subject is presented with (A, B), (B, C), and (C, A), and their reverses, equally often across trials.

It would be number of attempts I think?
I’m only scratching my head to see what can be done, so haven’t tried any tests yet.

What can you make of it?
I make of it that you have some data. :)

And three variables tp and three ntp.

Was the respondent told if she was correct or not? Was the respondent told "this is A and this is B"? How many pairs of A versus B was shown to each respondent?

What have the lectures been about so far? (That is what the homework will be about.)
Really appreaciate if you answer the questions. :)

The respondents are given a new pair if they succeed in identifying the previous pair.
They’re told to “find the hidden coin” in the first stage by being shown 2 medallions. They’re told “the purple medallion” hides the coin. So for each paid of medallion, they have to choose the purple medallion. Once they reach 14 correct answers, the coin is hidden in a different medallion then the previous. This goes on for 3 stages until they reach TP tasks, where they’re told “choose flower A over B”, and then “B over C”. Basically, the flower to be chosen is the one chosen previous in a continuous fashion (A vs B, B vs C, etc).

We have been learning about metacognition skills the week prior (metacognition learning in disabilities particularly).

I try to understand what is random and what is not random, and thereby specify a statistical model. Or is this a statistical problem at all?

So the responden will chose from A and B. A is always correect and after 14 correct answers it will be B versus C and so on.

Sorry I don't understand. What is the idea with this experiment?