using differing methods for confidence intervals with differing results

Hello,

Does anybody know the protocol for when you use two different methods to create confidence intervals and get differing results in the test.

I ran a test for a parameter estimation MLE and got different results for my confidence interval. And would like some advice.

For example,

you have a null hypothesis

H0 : m = 20
HA: m is not equal to 20.

Then you use one method for hypothesis testing and you get a confidence interval

(10,15) (reject the null)

Then you use a different method to test a hypothesis and you get;

(15,25) (fail to reject)

What would you do under these circumstances?

e.g Not use multiple tests, or fail to reject because one was failed, yeah I am not sure, hopefully you understand the problem and can help me thanks.

hlsmith

Less is more. Stay pure. Stay poor.
Hello,

Does anybody know the protocol for when you use two different methods to create confidence intervals and get differing results in the test.

I ran a test for a parameter estimation MLE and got different results for my confidence interval. And would like some advice.

For example,

you have a null hypothesis

H0 : m = 20
HA: m is not equal to 20.

Then you use one method for hypothesis testing and you get a confidence interval

(10,15) (reject the null)

Then you use a different method to test a hypothesis and you get;

(15,25) (fail to reject)

What would you do under these circumstances?

e.g Not use multiple tests, or fail to reject because one was failed, yeah I am not sure, hopefully you understand the problem and can help me thanks.
Well, ideally you had a protocol draft a priori that you strictly adhere to. What was the second method, OLS, bootstrap, etc.? Also, what is the sample size?

Last edited: