Using split questionnaire design when validating measures

I want to gather data to validate new measures I've created (using EFA, CFA, correlations, item analysis, etc)

However the survey will be very long if I include all items for everyone (~60 minutes).

I've read about split questionnaire designs where you give a different subset of items to random groups of respondents so that they could have lets say half the questions but where across the respondents you get data for all items. Then you impute the 'planned missing data'; e.g. Rhemtulla, M., & Little, T. D. (2012). Planned missing data designs for research in cognitive development. Journal of Cognition and Development, 13(4), 425-438.

However, I can't find information about whether this design is appropriate when the purpose of the data collection is to establish the validity of a new measure. As far as I can tell, it *should* be appropriate but it could be problematic because of the way i'd have to impute large parts of the data.

Has anyone here looked into this or used split questionnaires for this purpose? Has anyone come across articles that have done this?