validity of data arrangement in a 2x2 table for fishers exact test.

Hi,

I have two conditions (A and B) to which the subjects has been exposed to. There are two responses to those conditions yes or no. I can arrange the data in a 2x2 table in two different ways:

View attachment 5211

The P value for fishers exact test is 0.0028.

View attachment 5213

This table for fishers exact test gives me P value of 1.

My question is, is the arrangement of the data in table 1 valid enough to be used?

Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
You second table has "B no" twice and your totals don't match. Are these supposed to be representing the same data?

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Your totals don't match still though. I'm really not sure how you're equating these two tables.

It is the same data. But the second table is looking at interactions/overlap between the two variables The first table directly informs the response to each variable on its own. This is why the totals do not match. I would like to present my data in the form of table 1 but I am not sure if the arrangement of data in table 1 is valid. Thank you for looking at the question earlier.

Last edited:
When I look at the interaction between the two variables and report that in the table, then table 2 ends up having fewer numbers than table 1. So in total I have 76 responses. When I look at the response to each variable separately then it is 38 to each variable giving the total of 76 responses (A+B).

In the second table I am looking at responses that are common to A and B and that is why the numbers in table 2 are smaller because any response that is unique to only one variable is excluded and not counted for.

I can send my entire table if necessary?

Thanks again for your time.