Variation Problem

• Hello folks....I am struggling with basic statistics! Any help would be appreciated. I had the before lunch average at 50.35. I have contemplated a t-test to use ....but not sure.

• Mr. Jones wanted to check if there was an observable impact of a particular worksheet on his students’ test scores for Chapter 1. His idea was to test if there was a significant variation in the average test score of the class that used the worksheet in comparison to all the rest of his classes. In the class before lunch, he used the worksheet but not any of the others. He has 23 students in this class. Their test scores are below:

• Before Lunch 58 79 59 45 41 39 67 81 80 32 72 35 21 31 60 57 20 68 43 24 16 31 58 82
  • Other classes average 41

• Which statistical test would you use?
  • Give a brief one-sentence statement that led you to choose that test.
  • Provide your null (H0) and alternative (Ha) hypothesis.
  • Perform the test.
  • What is your statistic?
  • Which value are you comparing it to (critical value)?
  • What decision does this inform you to make?
  • Write a one or two sentence conclusion.
  • What limitations or other considerations would you point out for this study?

Karabiner

TS Contributor
Welcome to Talkstats. We are glad that you posted here! This looks like a homework question though. Our homework help policy can be found here. We mainly just want to see what you have tried so far and that you have put some effort into the problem. I would also suggest checking out this thread for some guidelines on smart posting behavior that can help you get answers that are better much more quickly.