Very stuck with simple problem.

Stuck

Hi everyone, :wave:

I am at the end of my tether with trying to sort out the statistics for my report. It's simple stuff but I am hopeless with statistics. :(

I've struggled for weeks trying to even work out what data to use and just when I thought I was getting somewhere it's gone a bit wrong. I think.

Basically I have 2 groups of cows:
A - those in their 1st or 2nd lactation n=24
B - those in their 3rd + lactation n=16
And for each group I have somatic cell counts. I wanted to see if there is a significant difference between the cell counts in young (group A) and old (group B) cows.
I did a t-test and it came up that apparantly these two sets of data ARE significantly different, which is great.

BUT! I don't know if my results are worth anything. I have now read somewhere that you can only use a t-test if the data is normally distributed, which I don't know if it is. Plus I am not sure if my sample sizes are big enough but I can't get any more cows.

I'm not a maths student and it's never been my strong point, hence I am really struggling with these statistics. I wanted to write a good report but it's overdue anyway and I am close to just giving up and submitting any old rubbish. :shakehead

Thanks for reading guys,

(very) Stuck

JohnM

TS Contributor
To check to see if your data is normally distributed, you can do an Anderson-Darling test, and also do a normal probability plot.

If both of these above suggest that a lack of normality exists, then you can use the Mann-Whitney U-test, which is the nonparametric analogue to the t-test.

In general though, the lack of normality has to be pretty severe before you need to worry about it.

Stuck

JohnM said:
To check to see if your data is normally distributed, you can do an Anderson-Darling test, and also do a normal probability plot.

If both of these above suggest that a lack of normality exists, then you can use the Mann-Whitney U-test, which is the nonparametric analogue to the t-test.

In general though, the lack of normality has to be pretty severe before you need to worry about it.
Thanks for the reply! :)

I checked for normality visually with a graph and it looks more like negative correlation.

Is the Mann-Whitney U-test easy? I have never heard of it, please forgive my ignorance. *blush*

JohnM

TS Contributor
Can you attach your data set? Let me take a look to see if it justifies using a nonparametric test. One thing going against using nonparametric are the unequal sample sizes.

Stuck

Er... hope this attachment works! :confused:

I looked in my notes and read that the Mann-Whitney U-test is 'especially useful if sample sizes differ', so I'm guessing that's the way to go?

I have stuck the data into one of those websites which calculate it for you but am having trouble interpreting the results.

Thanks for your help! :tup: :eek: :eek:

JohnM

TS Contributor
I think what you can say here is that the variances are different - and that's what appears to cause the difference in averages. In other words, the B group has a few high data points (in the 400's), but many of them are in the same general range as the A group.

So, I think you're limited in saying that the B group has a higher variability than A.

Is there anything you can think of that makes the high data point cows in B different from the other data points in B?

Stuck

JohnM said:
I think what you can say here is that the variances are different - and that's what appears to cause the difference in averages. In other words, the B group has a few high data points (in the 400's), but many of them are in the same general range as the A group.

So, I think you're limited in saying that the B group has a higher variability than A.
Does that mean I can't compare the two sets? :confused:

JohnM

TS Contributor
You can certainly compare them, but I don't think you can conclude, with conviction, that the average cell counts are different.

What I see is that there's more variation in B's cell counts (which causes the difference in averages) - in other words, some cows in B have higher cell counts, but not all of them do....

Stuck

JohnM said:
You can certainly compare them, but I don't think you can conclude, with conviction, that the average cell counts are different.

What I see is that there's more variation in B's cell counts (which causes the difference in averages) - in other words, some cows in B have higher cell counts, but not all of them do....
Oks, I understand what you mean.

Hope you don't mind me asking just one more little question... if I do a test such as the Mann-Whitney U-test and the result comes back as 'significantly different', why is that result not valid? Is it simply the fact that the sample sizes are unequal sizes?

JohnM

TS Contributor
Mann-Whitney initially ranks the cows, regardless of their group membership, then compares the rank sums of the two groups. If one group has a much higher sample size, then it can get a higher rank sum just because it has more items.....so in other words, it has an "unfair" advantage.

JohnM said:
Mann-Whitney initially ranks the cows, regardless of their group membership, then compares the rank sums of the two groups. If one group has a much higher sample size, then it can get a higher rank sum just because it has more items.....so in other words, it has an "unfair" advantage.
Right, that makes sense.

I think I'm going to have to re-write the whole thing at this rate! :eek: :(

Thanks for your help, you've been great. :) :)