What books could you read to get a Statistics major?

I studied Philosophy and Math in college, and now that I'm out, I'm still interested in learning a few things, one of which is Stats. I've read a few books on intro Stats, including Tanis and Hogg's Mathematical Statistics, which I feel I've understood well. However, when I go to read other Statistics texts I feel like they don't make a lot of sense to me, and I wonder what it is that I'm missing. Rather than asking, how do I fill in these gaps, I think maybe a more complete and useful question is: What books could I read that would give me the equivalent of an undergraduate degree in Statistics? I know you won't get exactly as good a grasp of Statistics without taking classes at college, but just play along. What subjects should one know, in what order should they be learned, and what are the best books to learn those subjects?

hlsmith

Less is more. Stay pure. Stay poor.
A possible option is doing a search on good programs and seeing which courses they require and their electives. Then attempt to procure those syllabi (either online or emailing the professors).

Another very relevant question would be, what areas of statistics are you interested in? It is a very broad field. Most programs have maybe 6 core course and allow students to then fill in hours based on electives and their interests.

What areas of statistics are there? I'm not sure which I'd want to study the most--probably a little of everything. I'm interested in Bayesian belief updates and their relationship to Philosophy; Markov processes and their place in Math; maybe just the first thing about data analysis (which I interpret to be a computery thing, and I have some basic CompSci understanding); and maybe just the first thing about "making sense of data" kind of stuff like data visualization, if that makes any sense. And I don't know where this falls, but I'd like to be able to take pretty much any study that any researcher has done, look at the data, and test various hypotheses about it.

Englund

TS Contributor
The following books cover many of the principles studied in higher education. I think they're available for free online. The books are quite heavy and they aren't completed in a week. As these books cover the principles of many diverse fields of statistics i think that you will be able to get a grasp of what area/areas you want to dive into even more.

Casella, G., & Berger, R. (2002). Statistical Inference. Duxbury Press.
Greene, W. (2000). Econometric analysis. Prentice-Hall: New Jersey.

I'm not really knowledgeable about the right statistics books to read but I found this online that I believe will help you understand the techniques and basic concepts of statistics. This is entitled: Statistics in Plain English, Third Edition Timothy C. Urdan