What test do I need to use in my research?

Hello,

I'm a French psychology student. My research is about anxiety levels, self esteem levels and defense mechanisms in a population of young adolescents with conduct disorders.

I have 3 variables:
- Dependent variable: maturity of defense mechanisms, measured with the DSQ-40 scale wich gives me 3 means: one for the mature defenses, one for the nevrotic defenses and another one for the immature defenses
- Independent variable: anxiety level, measured with the STAI-Y scale
- Independent variable: self esteem level, measured with the Self Esteem Inventory (SEI) scale

I have 3 hypothesis:
- The score of mature defenses will be higher in case of low anxiety
- The score of mature defenses will be higher in case of high self esteem
- The score of mature defenses will be higher in case of low anxiety especially in case of high self esteem

Do you have any idea of what statistical test do I need to use to test my hypothesis?

Thanks in advance :)

j58

Assuming your dependent variable can be treated as continuous, your hypotheses suggest the following linear regression model.

y_i = b0 + b1*x1_i + b2*x2_i + b3*x1_i*x2_i ,

where x1 and x2 are your two dependent variables. The third term, the product, captures interaction between the two dependent variables, which your third hypothesis indicates you're interested in.

Usual caveats about the assumptions of linear regression apply.

Thank you for your answer!
I forgot to tell you that I only have 8 participants, I don't know if that is enough to do a linear regression?