What test should I do?

Hi! I'm working on a practice problem and I am given the following information:
people who have manual labor jobs (n=18): average hours of sleep ranging between 6.7 and 8.2 with a median of 7.4
people who do not have manual labor jobs (n=12): average hours of sleep ranging between 4.7 and 6.9 with a median of 5.7

They want to see if there is a significant difference between the two groups and I need to give:
response and explantatory variable and type
appropriate null hypothesis
the appropriate statistical method and formula for test statistic, if available
required assumptions

it seems like it should be a t-test (given that it's a binary explanatory and a continuous response, but I don't know how to do that given only this information?

Is this everything the professor gave you? To decide on the test you need to explore the distributional properties of the data. And for that you need more information. For example, having a value for each participant would suffice. On the other hand, seeing only ranges and medians would not be sufficient.

hlsmith

Not a robit
Agree with @staassis - is there any more info. We have no idea of the distributions and they don't say assume a guassian distribution or any hints.

@GretaGarbo - do you have any intel to guide them. You seem to know things in this area. If there were a little more info you could simulate two triangle distributions and do some type of Monte Carlo simulation test :)