Which analyses do I need to measure my control variables? in SPSS

esbag

Hey everyone!
I'm currently busy with my statistical analyses for my master thesis, but I got stuck! Hope you would want to help me out :).

I have 16 groups which can be divided into four groups: e.g.: both primes, ethnic prime only, personal objectivity prime only, control groups (no prime at all). (See attachment).

Within these groups participants either got a western candidate (variable candidate =1) or a non-western candidate (variable candidate =2). They had to rate this candidate (applicant credential rating, trait importance rating and total evaluation).

For my first hypotheses I did the following:
1. Participants primed with ethnic prejudice rate the credentials of the Western applicant higher than the same credentials of the non-Western applicant.
2. Participants primed with personal objectivity rate the credentials of the Western applicant higher than the same credentials of the non-Western applicant.

(And comparable hypotheses for applicant trait importance rating and total evaluation).

Here is what I did:

I split the file on the prime conditions (and only looked at the t-test results for ethnic prime =1, for example (so looked at people who where in that condition)). I did this for all four conditions. And put the results in a table.

SORT CASES BY ethn_Prime.
SPLIT FILE SEPARATE BY ethn_Prime.

T-TEST GROUPS=candidate(1 2)
/MISSING=ANALYSIS/VARIABLES=appl_credent appl_traitimport appl_totevaluation
/CRITERIA=CI(.95).

SPLIT FILE OFF.
SORT CASES BY persob_prime.
SPLIT FILE SEPARATE BY persob_prime.

T-TEST GROUPS=candidate(1 2)
/MISSING=ANALYSIS/VARIABLES=appl_credent appl_traitimport appl_totevaluation
/CRITERIA=CI(.95).

SPLIT FILE OFF.
etc..etc..

Now the part where I am stuck testing my control variables:
1. What is the influence of educational level on judgments and decisions of participants?
2. What is the influence of organizational level on judgments and decisions of participants?
3. What is the influence of emotional intelligence on judgments and decisions of participants?
4. What is the influence of social / time pressure on judgments and decisions of participants?

I thought of doing an AN(C)OVA.
Where my dependent variable is:
applicant credential (or applicant trait importance/ applicant total evaluation (separate analyses for the three different dependent variables).

Categorical independent variable is:
- candidate (western/non western)
- experimental condition (both, ethnic prime, person prime, control group)
- (Time/social pressure? Is either 1 or 2 (yes and no time pressure (is this an independent variable or a covariable?))

Covariables:
Educational level (continuous)
Organization level (continuous)
Total emotional intelligence score (continuous) (tot_tei)

But I am not quite sure if this is how I have to test for my control variables.
Plus do I have to put the control variables in separate analyses (one by one)or can I put them all in one?
Do I put time/social pressure as an independent variable or as a covariable?
What do I need to look for in the output?

This is what my syntax has to look like according to my stats teacher :
(my statistics teacher told me I had to put in contrasts (I don’t know what for?? And he put all of the covariables in once)).

UNIANOVA appl_credent BY candidate exp_condition time_pressure WITH edu_level org_level tot_tei
/CONTRAST(candidate)=Polynomial
/CONTRAST(exp_condition)=Helmert
/CONTRAST(time_pressure)=Simple
/METHOD=SSTYPE(3)
/INTERCEPT=INCLUDE
/PLOT=PROFILE(exp_condition*candidate*time_pressure) TYPE=LINE ERRORBAR=CI MEANREFERENCE=NO
YAXIS=0
/PRINT ETASQ DESCRIPTIVE PARAMETER OPOWER
/CRITERIA=ALPHA(.05)
/DESIGN=edu_level org_level tot_tei candidate exp_condition time_pressure
candidate*exp_condition candidate*time_pressure exp_condition*time_pressure
candidate*exp_condition*time_pressure.

Now I am not sure if I have to:
1. Put all the covariables in the analyses all in once (or first without covariables and then one by one and the last analyses only the signifanct covariables altogether)
2. Put “contrasts” in the analyses, since I don’t know what to use that for..
3. Where to look in the output. If I want to find answers for my control variable questions: (e.g. What is the influence of educational level /organizational level /emotional intelligence/ time pressure on judgments and decisions of participants?
4. where to put the variable time/social pressure in the analysis (as a covariable or as a categorical independent var.?)

I sincerely hope my question and explanation is clear.I’m stuck and I would be so grateful for your help and opinions!!

Attachments