Which grad school?

Do you guys have any recommendations for a master degree in statistics? I am looking for a program where I can lean towards applied statistics and computing. It doesn't need to officially be a degree in applied statistics as long as I can choose those options.

Hmmm.... What's your GPA and academic achievements?

Honestly after my luck, I quickly realized that despite tons of research experience in undergrad, my marks turned off every grad school I applied to. No one gave a dog's left testicle that I did research a year and a half.

Anyways, bitterness aside, I believe the University of Iowa is the one of the best in the US. If you do some searching around, you can find grad school ranking websites that let you rank by your preferences. Purdue is good... Colorado state isn't bad either. Also, many Canadian universities have good master's programs.

Last edited:
University of Michigan has a department. I took an excellent course from Faraway there for my Mater's degree.

Edit: It seems that Dr. Faraway is now at the University of Bath in the UK. I guess that's Michigan's loss.

Last edited:
i want to get a master degree to get a job in industry. i have no intention of "sneaking" into the ph.d. program.

papabravo, i sent you a pm.

thanks for the info. do you know of any schools in california where the curriculum is flexible enough for applied statistics.

Hmmm.... What's your GPA and academic achievements?

Honestly after my luck, I quickly realized that despite tons of research experience in undergrad, my marks turned off every grad school I applied to. No one gave a dog's left testicle that I did research a year and a half.

Anyways, bitterness aside, I believe the University of Iowa is the one of the best in the US. If you do some searching around, you can find grad school ranking websites that let you rank by your preferences. Purdue is good... Colorado state isn't bad either. Also, many Canadian universities have good master's programs.

The big names I know of as a whole in California are Stanford and Berkely. I'm not sure however if they have the best statistics programs.

thanks for the info. do you know of any schools in california where the curriculum is flexible enough for applied statistics.
I got my masters in applied statistics from UC Santa Barbara.

I started that program while I was already there in a phd program in psychology, so I never looked for other programs. But I would be surprised if the other UC campuses didn't also have applied programs.

I think Caly Poly San Luis Obispo might too....

If you email me, I can give you more info.

Karen

you seem to be interested in california, so this probably won't be of much help. as far as canadian schools go for stats/probability, the bigger names are probably the university of toronto, waterloo, university of british columbia, and dalhousie.