Which statistics test to use?

Dear all,

I am working on a project about a diagnosis system where I have two scenarios.

In the first I have binary data like:
highTemp
etc.
where zero indicate normal temperature and 1 indicate high temperature. I want to correlate this with a class whose values can be one of three mechanic systems (dependent variable) that I encoded 1, 2, and 3. Which test should I use in this case? I thought about chi square but my data (highTemp) is not normally distributed.

In the second problem, I just wanted to know how likely is to see an independent binary variable like highTemp occur when we have another independent binary variable like engine speed (encoded as 0 for normal speed and 1 for too fast). Here as well, my both binary variables are not normally distributed according to Shapiro-Wilk test. Would Chi-square work here? Chi-square is the only test I could see that does not require a dependent and independent variables, but it does require normal distribution though.

Your help is highly appreciated

Karabiner

TS Contributor
You have categorical data, therefore considerations of normality do not apply.

Chi² seems reasonable here.

With kind regards

Karabiner

Last edited:
Dear Sir/Ma
Group C is a control group. No surgeries to the group but sampled as the other 3 groups that had different techniques of a rumenotomy procedure. Each group had 3 males and 3 females as sub group. Sampling were before surgery as PRE,then postsurgeries as 0hr, 5hrs, 24hrs,48hrs, 72hrs, weeks 1,2 and 3. How do I compare the groups. I'm using graphpad prism 5.
Assays were for Cytokines.

Thank you.