Which test to use? 1 continuous and 1 categorical variable

I am trying to see if increasing age (continuous) makes a person more susceptible to a health event (categorical: 1 or 0)
Please will you guide me as to which tets will be most appropriate to check if there is any correlation/association?

Many thanks in advance
PS: I have searched the forum but could not find any direct hits


TS Contributor
You have 2 groups (event yes/no). In order to analyse whther those with
the event tend to be older (or younger) than those without, you can use
the independent samples t-test (with Welch correction). Alternatively,
Mann-Whitney U-test.

With kind regards

Thank you, much appreciate your help. On that note, please may I ask, if I wanted to again compare age with test outcomes which are numerical but limited between -4 to +4, what would you suggest I go for? Thanks in advance
Thanks, Promise this is the last one. If I converted my age to categorical variables, then can I use a Chi-square to look for an association between age and the event (yes or no)? Thanks so much. You have been super helpful


Fortran must die
You could also run logistic regression.

Its almost never a good idea to make an interval variable a categorical one