Why are you here?

noetsi

Fortran must die
I am sure he did not solve the problem. Not his way of doing things - just point you in the right direction. But that still disrupts basic assumptions in educational testing models.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
That's interesting. I would think that any model that assumes that students aren't going to get any external help in their homework would be an incredibly flawed one...

I am sure he did not solve the problem. Not his way of doing things - just point you in the right direction. But that still disrupts basic assumptions in educational testing models.
In our university students book appointments with academic staff to ask various questions or ask the question at the end of the lecture The same model is accepted by many Universities and institutions. In fact, academic staff are encouraging students to discuss various questions. Students learn this way. Your objection is that a student asks the question on a discussion board and not face-to-face with academic staff or other students.

Or, in some subjects there are discussion boards similar this one on which a popular format of the question is : "how do approach this problem?"

noetsi

Fortran must die
In our university students book appointments with academic staff to ask various questions or ask the question at the end of the lecture The same model is accepted by many Universities and institutions. In fact, academic staff are encouraging students to discuss various questions. Students learn this way. Your objection is that a student asks the question on a discussion board and not face-to-face with academic staff or other students.
You are assuming this thread is a serious one. Or at least that my posts are serious. Which they are not .... Dason rarely is involved in creating raptors or AI's (well hopefully anyhow).

Virtually nothing I said on this thread was meant to be taken literally.

I don't care if it is serious or not. I answered TS question why I am on this forum. Dason's points were helpful to the problem I posted on this forum. He asked to show what I've done so far etc. If I can help someone here I would. There is no other reason to be on the forum for me.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Dason rarely is involved in creating raptors or AI's (well hopefully anyhow).
I would NEVER create a raptor. My goal is to destroy raptors - not create those godless killing machines.

And I might create systems that require AI more often than you imply...

noetsi

Fortran must die
I would NEVER create a raptor. My goal is to destroy raptors - not create those godless killing machines.

And I might create systems that require AI more often than you imply...
the government doesn't like your kind Dason. Well unless you work for them (which I guess you do sort of). Lots of raptors in its senior ranks.

noetsi

Fortran must die
When the comet hit the earth a hundred million years ago raptors quickly realized they would run out of big dumb plant eaters. So they mutated into something which could cause equal damage to fragile systems with less effort (and no large omniovres). Government analyst were perfect.

The Iraq war was an excellent example as was most economic policy.

Englund

TS Contributor
But really, four things:
  • Procrastination
  • Learning by following interesting discussions by people far cleverer than I
  • Trying to help other social-sciencers with stats (we find it hard, you know)
  • Procrastination
I totally agree on especially the first one, as well as the last. On the second thing you mention: When using the psychologists hat, you should realize that they are not per se smarter (more intelligent, cleverer or whatever term you wish to use) than you just because they may have more knowledge in statistics ;)

Englund

TS Contributor
I've got to admit that I am mainly here to procrastinate, I guess. Other useful things with a forum like this is that you get to learn a bunch of things, as well as teach/help others. One positive thing with helping others is that you're refreshing/updating your own skills.

Another great thing is that I get to practice my English. Students in Sweden usually read a lot of English literature. We watch English speaking TV series all the time. But we quite rarely speak or write in English.

I missed the first comments. I see everyone has this procrastination problem :) But the smart guys in this forum have saved my research life in several instances, while our department statisticians had no idea how to solve some problems. So although procrastination matters a lot, it really helped me in real life too :)