Absolute Beginners Question: Problem with importing csv file

Hello everyone,

I am just getting started on SAS, but cannot even get past the first step in my tutorial :(
Excel-Import does not work, so i am trying to import a .csv file.
It does import the data, the only problem is that instead of my dataset looking like this

var1 var2 var3
1 1 2812.658
2 0 1982.221

(each variable in one column)

it looks like this

var1_var2_var3
1;1;2812.658
2;0;1982.221

(only one column, variable names linked together with "_", values linked together with";")

any suggestions?

I know this is probably a stupid question, but I have not been able to get past this step in days (!), so I am growing a little frustrated...

Thanks a million in advance!

ets

I just wanted to report that I have solved the problem. Apparently Excel on my computer saves .csv with semicolons as delimiters instead of commas. This seems to be common on many Windows versions in Germany / Benelux. If anyone else has this problem, just open the file with Notepad, automatically replace (Ctrl+H) the semicolons with commas and save again. Then you can import the file into SAS.

ets

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
You can actually tell SAS that it is you're using for a delimiter. At least if you use proc import. I'd think there would be an option if you use the "import data" option from the file menu but there might not be. But I do know it's as easier as saying something like DLM = ";" in the import statement. I'm pretty sure that'd be the right syntax but I haven't had to worry about that for quite some time.