ANOVA? PLEASE HELP :) im so confused

mili

Hello :wave: ,

I think of ANOVA analysis as being useful when we want to see if there is a significant difference between the means of levels. Particularly with the one-way-ANOVA, there is one categorical vaiable ... with a few levels .... and one continuous, with a mean number for each level being used in calculation.

But what about when there is one categorical variable, say three levels, but for each level I don't have a mean but a total. So say 12 selected level A, 13 selected level B, and 40 selected level C of variable ABC. So its not like each participant selected a number for each option and then the means were calculated but instead each participant just selects an option over the others. Is some kind of non-parametric design needed to statistically find out if there is a significant difference between the numbers of people that selected a particular option? Can it even be analysed ?

Many many thanks,

Coco

p.s. I was looking to analyse this in excel, any support on how I might be able to do that would also be extremely useful.

Karabiner

TS Contributor
Looks like you have the H0 that the proportion of each option is the same
(i.e. 0.333..)? You could evaluate that H0 by using a Chi square goodness
of fit test. If Excel can't do this then you might want to look for web based
application here: http://statpages.org/#CrossTabs

Kind regards

K.

mili

thanks so much for the reply :)

Yes, chi test for goodness of fit sounds right. I am unsure how to find where the difference is though. So for example, if I have three levels, and the chi goodness of fit is less than the alpha, where are the significantly different values... between a and b, b and c, a and c ... a combination? Is there a follow up test?

Thanks again,

Coco

mili

Do you know if this can be done in excel? The pairwise comparisons....

I am having trouble finding any instructions online on how to do this in excel....

Coco