Binomial distribution and power in a research proposal

Hello!

Recently we had to write up a mock research proposal for uni. For my paper, I was trying to measure and compare prosocial behaviours between two groups of teenagers utilising an economic game. Essentially, in each game, the player had two choices, pro-social vs. selfish choice.

Under the ‘participant’ section I had suggest 95 participants based on this calculator:
https://select-statistics.co.uk/calculators/sample-size-calculator-two-proportions/

Here is the screenshot of the result:
1667794401865.png

Hence, I have written this:
1667794422841.png

However, the marker suggested this:
1667794437529.png

This all said I was wondering about the following questions (because my knowledge of statistics is superficial, I wasn’t confident to challenge the remark):
1667794483151.png

Thank you immensely!

katxt

What you are effectively saying is (I think) "A difference of 20% is important to me and if the difference is in fact that big, I want to be reasonably sure of catching it. How many do I need in each group to be 80% sure of getting a significant result if in fact the true values are in fact 40% and 60%?"
If that is what you meant, then the effect size is 20%. There may be cunning ways of manipulating this to get a Cohen type effect size, but in my view your common sense interpretation (if indeed that is what you meant) is fine. kat

What you are effectively saying is (I think) "A difference of 20% is important to me and if the difference is in fact that big, I want to be reasonably sure of catching it. How many do I need in each group to be 80% sure of getting a significant result if in fact the true values are in fact 40% and 60%?"
If that is what you meant, then the effect size is 20%. There may be cunning ways of manipulating this to get a Cohen type effect size, but in my view your common sense interpretation (if indeed that is what you meant) is fine. kat
Thank you Kat :)!!