Calculating correlation with unknown sample size

nche

Hello, friends. Here is the question that I would like answered. I have literally been sitting here for over an hour trying to find the solution on the web, and I am beyond frustrated (my broken arm doesn't help).

What would be the correlation between the annual salary of males and females at a company if for a certain type of position men always made:

a) $5,000 more than women?
r=

b) 25% more than women?
r=

c) 15% less than women?
r=

I am used to calculating the correlation coefficient with actual values (x and y), but since this one had none except for the different changes, I did not know what to do. How can we determine a, b, and c without actual given values?

hlsmith

Less is more. Stay pure. Stay poor.
How did you break your arm?

Where does this question come from and for clearification, there is not other information presented?

if for a certain type of position men always made:

a) $5,000 more than women?
(I note the phrase: "men always made")

Sometimes, a little example helps. Here is one for you:

sal_women sal_men
35 40
41 46
42 47
43 48
55 60

If you are one of those who believe that you can't conclude anything from such a small sample, I suggest you to generate a sample of 5000 or 5 millions of observations.

I generated the data like

sal_men = 5 + sal_women

Generate the other two by:

sal_men = 0.25*sal_women

sal_men = (1-0.15)*sal_women

As a bonus question:
suppose that men made 1% more that women:

sal_men = 1.01*sal_women

would the size of the correlation coefficient, tell you anything about the size of the salary difference?

So, how important is the correlation coefficient?

- - -

Hello, friends.
Sorry I can't remember if we had exchanged "friends greetings". Or did you direct this to someone else? But I suggest that you send an friends request to Mr BryanGoodrich. I think he will be enchanted and answer all your questions.