Chi square help

jess6

The student population of local college is approximately one-third blond and two-thirds other hair color. Over a 2-day period, the hair color of each student entering the student union building is tallied,with the following results: blonds, 452; others 1,548. Determine whether blonds and others are likely to enter the union as would be predicted on the basis of their percentage in the student population.
I did a contingency table
Blond other
Hair color entering student union 452 1548 N=2000
2000/2=1000
X^2= (452-1000)^2/1000+(1548-1000)^2/1000= 600.6

HO: the percentage of whether blonds and other hair color are likely to enter the union as predicted on the basis of the percentage in the student population is incorrect

H1: the percentage of whether blonds and other hair color are likely to enter the union as predicted on the basis of the percentage in the student population is correct

A=.05

rejection rule: we reject HO if x^2 comp is greater than x^2crit…df: k-1= 1…x^2.05= 3.84

We reject Ho since x^2comp is greater than x^2 crit

Conclusion : the percentage of whether blonds and other hair color are likely to enter the union as predicted on the basis of the percentage in the student population is correct

I am not too sure if I chose the correct contingency table to distribute the data. I was supposed to use the 7-step procedure. I thought this problem was chi-squared goodness-of- fit test. But I am confused if it should be a chi-squared test of independence…I am a bit confused since they are asking for percentage. Can someone please explain/show me if I am doing this problem correctly. I am stumped. I have tried doing the problem in a chi-squared test but if they are only giving two #’s I’m not sure how I would be able to find the extrovert…and the 1/3 and 2/3 of the population is confusing me as to where to put it in the table…Any help or a step in the right direction would be a great help. thank you!

Karabiner

TS Contributor
I guess your expected frequencies are 2000* 1/3 for blondes and 2000*2/3 for non-blondes (do the
proportions of blondes and non-blondes amongst those who enter the unon reflect the general
distribution of hair colors).

Regards

K.