Contrasts in R for two-way and three-way interactions

I am new to using R and have just performed some mixed effect models which have significant 2-way and 3-way interactions. My question is now that I have a nicely constructed model, what next?

Basically, I would like to perform pairwise comparisons for all of my interactions. My fixed effects are treatment (2 levels), day (3 levels), and time (3 levels). I have no idea how to set up contrast variables within my data set and then actually perform the contrasts using R. I am used to the point-and-click methods in SPSS for doing this, so I am desperate to figure out how to do this in R so I can complete my analysis.

Any help?

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
If you're looking for all pairwise comparisons you can use TukeyHSD. Otherwise there is always the "contrast" package.

If I'm not doing pairwise comparisons I usually just code in the matrix manipulations myself. Well... scratch that I have my own functions but I set up the contrast matrices myself.

trinker

ggplot2orBust
I am new to using R and have just performed some mixed effect models which have significant 2-way and 3-way interactions. My question is now that I have a nicely constructed model, what next?
jmike when i was new to [R] I didn't know where to go for help. In case you don't know where to go for help either I wanted to let you know about Rseek ( a search engine just for [R]). Simply type rseek.org into the address bar. When I do this and then type in pairwise comparisons I get a ton of results (including some of the ideas Dason gives). I hope this helps. It has made searching and proficiency with [R] much quicker for me. By the way one of the search hits that seemed extremely pertinent to you is listed below:
http://www.r-bloggers.com/r-tutorial-series-anova-pairwise-comparison-methods/

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
What's this Dason? Holding out on the Rcode, functions, thread.:shakehead
Ha. Well I didn't really think it counted. It's just the matrix manipulations you use to test a contrast in a linear model. I guess I could post it at some point.

I have been trying to work this out, but am still struggling with this. The contrast packages seems to be the way to go, but I cannot figure it out.

My three factors are tx.f (2 levels) , Day.f (2 levels here) , and Time.f (3 levels). When I run my lme, I get my list of fixed effects (and I deleted the actual results from here just to keep it simple):

(Intercept)
tx.f2
Day.f2
Time.f2
Time.f3
tx.f2 : Day.f2
tx.f2 : Time.f2
tx.f2 : Time.f3
Day.f2 : Time.f2
Day.f2 : Time.f3
tx.f2 : Day.f2 : Time.f2
tx.f2 : Day.f2 : Time.f3

So, if I wish to do a contrasts between tx=1 and tx=2 for Day=2, Time=2, how would I do that? Or If I wanted to do a constrast between tx=1, Day=2, Time = 2 vs. tx=1, Day = 2, time =3? Or, if I only want to compare from a two way interaction (ie, Day=1 Time=2 vs. Day 1 =1 Time = 3).

I just don't understand the syntax I am supposed to put following the "list" argument in the command, and how I manipulate that for each planned contrast I want to look at... I just can't find a good example elsewhere. I have found a few threads with others asking for help on other forums, but the answers don't seem to be there. I am sure it will be obvious once I understand it, I am just struggling to get it right.

Thanks in advance!

I figured out the problem. I needed quotes around my factor names. Everything is coded as a number, in my syntax, I simply listed an equal sign and then the numeric value. Instead, I needed quotes in front of the numeric value for each factor. That cleared everything up.