dummy variable

In linear regression, I have a categorical independent variable with 4 values (vrnt=1,2,3,4). I have created 4 dummy values (vrnt1 when vrnt=1 else=0, vrnt2 when vrnt=2 else=0, vrnt3=1 when vrnt=3 else=0, vrnt4=1 when vrnt=4 else=0). Reference is vrnt1. I should run linear regression with vrnt2, vrnt3, vrnt4 as independent variables in the model and do not include vrnt1? vrnt1 is automatically detected as reference variable?

fed2

i think probably the most expedient thing would be to let the software use whatever coding it likes, and you just focus on the means, p-values etc.

in R set factor(vrnt) and most models will automatically handle this.
in sas set as class variable

in SPSS destroy SPSS, then do one of the above options.

Karabiner

TS Contributor
In linear regression, I have a categorical independent variable with 4 values (vrnt=1,2,3,4). I have created 4 dummy values (vrnt1 when vrnt=1 else=0, vrnt2 when vrnt=2 else=0, vrnt3=1 when vrnt=3 else=0, vrnt4=1 when vrnt=4 else=0). Reference is vrnt1. I should run linear regression with vrnt2, vrnt3, vrnt4 as independent variables in the model and do not include vrnt1? vrnt1 is automatically detected as reference variable?
A case with vrnt=1 shows three zeroes in vrnt2, vrnt3, vrnt4. Therefore it is the baseline.
The weight for e.g. vrnt3 shows what happens if you change from vrnt=1 to vrnt=3.

With kind regards

Karabiner