Food service satisfaction survey - 4 point Likert scale

Good morning,

This is my first posting... I am a dietitian with a master degree. I am doing research in Clientele satisfaction (i.e. quality of Food service and Foods served) in an geriatric institution setting - long-term care.

For our latest survey, we had 30 questions which mainly used 4 point Likert scales (Very satisfied, Satisfied, Not very satisfied and Unsatisfied) to ‘force’ the results into either satisfactory or unsatisfactory category. Our sample size is small (n=20).

When calculating the average response and standard deviations, we allocated percentage values to each scale point: 100%-Very satisfied; 66% Satisfied; 33%-Not vey satisfied and 0%-Not Satisfied.

I am unclear as how to 'explain' the wide standard deviation associated with the averages resulting from such a scale…

1) Is there a way to explain or minimize the appearance of large STD DEV ? For example, we set our quality norm at 75%. Some results are 75%+/-15% and make it seem unsatisfactory (which is in fact only ½ point scale…) - in percentages, it looks huge…

For most of the questions, we also have a Ranking of Importance (Very important, Rather important, Of little importance, Not important) which we have used to obtained ‘weighted satisfaction rates’.

2) What type of other stat tests can I do with such a scale to complete my analysis?

3) Is there specific documentation I could consult to help with this type of surveys?

4) Would you know about Satisfaction surveys for demented patients or for their proxies?

Thank you,
Isabelle MSC RD
:wave:

JohnM

TS Contributor
Since you have such a small sample, I would also report, for each question, the % of responses that were on the "not satisfied" half of the scale. The questions with the highest % would be your areas for potential improvement, especially if they were "important" issues.

I think having good food should be our first priority in life. Without food Its not possible to live a happy life. I normally two times a week visit restaurants for junk food but I really love junk food. Even I asked my friend John to suggest me a list of restaurants https://nicelocal.ca/toronto/restaurants/type/ice_cream_parlor/ and he helped me satisfy my junk food needs. I had a restaurant in past so I know how they prepare good food.

noetsi

No cake for spunky
I think 20 cases is likely an issue. I expect if you have more your SE would be lower. I also think that its pretty much impossible to generalize to any large population with 20 cases.

The way to reduce it is likely gather more data. :p