Forum upgrade issues

It seems that the calendar cannot be updated, so I removed the link. The double login is probably related to cookie setting in the browser. If it becomes frequent please let me know.

Just added facebook connection, visitors logged in to facebook will have a "two-click" registration, hopefully it'll make it easier to register. Our spam filter is quite sensitive and blocks many valid email addresses. I get daily emails asking for assitance in registration. Now there is an alternative. Phew!

Outlier

TS Contributor
I occasionally have to do that too. What's your os and browser?
Mac OS X, Vers. 10.5.8, safari.

If I log in at the top right of the screen it then says I'm logged in but then says I'm not and presents me with a new screen.
If I log in at the center of this new screen it seems to work but then I can't do the "remember me" option.

TheEcologist

Global Moderator
Today when I use quick reply, my post is always double.. so the post and then a copy directly below it. Anybody else got this? I'm using Chromium (not Chrome) on Linux.

Sorry I have to disable the latest post plugin on the homepage. It is not completely compatible with the new forum software. It seems that when a new user signs up and gets redirected to the homepage, the plugin will display an error. Also it uses old url structure, which is not search engine friendly, and is messing up our results in google. A major advantage of this new forum version is its url structure. If you look at the address bar of your browser, the post title is included in the url, it used to be just the thread/post index number. This plugin uses the old method to link to forums and posts.

For now please use the side bar for the latest thread/post information. Hopefully the plugin gets updated soon and I'll enable it right away.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
I like the new layout. The latest post plugin thing was kind of neat but if a thread title was too long it made the page too wide. I'm just using the "What's New?" tab to find the latest threads and it works pretty well.

TheEcologist

Global Moderator
Quark,

Would it be useful and how hard is it to implement a 'Show new replies to your posts' button? Many internet fora have this and I like it as it gives you a quick overview of all updated posts since your last visit to that thread. I imagine, this is especially usefull for us regulars who post in a wide range of different sub-fora.

Let me know what you (and others) think ,

Vbulletin does not have this button, but you can subscribe to a thread under the "Thread Tools" drop down menu above the posts, and then view the thread updates in "Settings" at the top right corner of every page.

Does it help if we bring back the latest post on the homepage? I find that I am kind of lost without it.

TheEcologist

Global Moderator
Vbulletin does not have this button, but you can subscribe to a thread under the "Thread Tools" drop down menu above the posts, and then view the thread updates in "Settings" at the top right corner of every page.

Do you think we should bring back the latest post on the homepage? I find that I am kind of lost without it.
Oh well, nevermind than.

I liked seeing the latest posts on the homepage. I also really liked to be able to select the amount of new posts to see. Using the new posts option does not give the same functionality. Oh well, I guess it need some getting used to.

The plugin is back on. I removed the top posters column so the table stay within the edge of the page. Please keep the comments and questions coming, we'll fine-tune everything to make the experience as smooth as possible.