Generating PDF from random samples

Hello,

I am taking an online course and have no instructor to help me....HELP!

Suppose the random variable X has the pdf f(x)=e^(-x). Let the random variable Y= X(1) + X(2) where X(1) and X(2) are random samples from the above pdf. *Note: the 1 and 2 that follow the X's are in subscript form.

1) Find the pdf of Y.
2) What is the expected value of Y?
3) What is the probability that Y will exceed 1?

I do not even have a clue where to start or I would put out what I think.
Thank you!

Martingale

TS Contributor
Hello,

I am taking an online course and have no instructor to help me....HELP!

Suppose the random variable X has the pdf f(x)=e^(-x). Let the random variable Y= X(1) + X(2) where X(1) and X(2) are random samples from the above pdf. *Note: the 1 and 2 that follow the X's are in subscript form.

1) Find the pdf of Y.
2) What is the expected value of Y?
3) What is the probability that Y will exceed 1?

I do not even have a clue where to start or I would put out what I think.
Thank you!
I'll use X_1 for X(1)...

1) if X_1 and X_2 are a random sample each with pdf f(x) then you can find the distribution of Y=X_1+X_2 by using convolutions.

2) E(Y)=E(X_1)+E(X_2)=2*E(X_1) since X_1 and X_2 have the same distribution. (or you can use the pdf you found in (1) to get the answer)

3) P(Y>=1)=... use the distribution you found in (1)

Mean Joe

TS Contributor
1) Find the pdf of Y.
Usually, when you want to find the pdf, your first step will be to find the cdf. Which you can do using this:
F(y) = P[Y <= y]

Since Y = X[1] + X[2], then (let's reason together) for Y <= y we need X[1] <= y and X[2] <= y - x1. Thus
F(y) = P[ X[1] <= y and X[2] <= y - x1 ]

Now you get to do calculus, since the random variables X[1] and X[2] are continuous:
F(y) = P[ ... ] = Integral(0 to y, Integral(0 to y-x1, e^(-x2) dx2) * e^(-x1) dx1)

The notation I'm using above puts two parameters into the integral function: Integral( limits, integrand). You have two random variables, so you have a double integral.

Mean Joe

TS Contributor
I'll use X_1 for X(1)...

1) if X_1 and X_2 are a random sample each with pdf f(x) then you can find the distribution of Y=X_1+X_2 by using convolutions.
Question about convolution: I tried using this formula, from wikipedia:

I get f[Y] (y) = f[X1 + X2] (y) = Integral(0 to infinity, f[X1](z)*f[X2](y-z) dz)
= Integral(0 to infinity, e^-(z) * e^-(y-z) dz)
= Integral(0 to infinity, e^(-y) dz)
does not exist??

Last edited: