Hello everyone!

Oh god I can only hope this place is what I've been dreaming and hoping for.
I'm a second year surgical resident at a tertiary care (over a 1000 patient beds) hospital and we have to do mandatory research as part of our training. I love the idea of research and doing it well, but I never learned how to do it properly (60% my fault, 40% fault of my teaching institution if I had to attribute blame). Now I've found a nice topic I want to work on and I went around to another institute that conducts a lot of research on how to proceed with my paper, but rather than helping me out I was told to study everything extensively, write down a detailed proposal, and then come back.

This didn't make me lose any of my motivation to do the work, but it did make me realize that I've been set back a few months at least, because I'd have to study up on statistics first to decide what sample size my study would need, what tests I would need to run, and how to run them. My statistical background is extremely bad and so I've been trying to read a medical statistics book for beginners, but even that became too difficult about halfway (200 pages) through, so I reverted to an even simpler book.

Then I found this forum. Hoping I can get some proper help and guidance here. Really looking forward to making good progress.

hlsmith

Less is more. Stay pure. Stay poor.
Welcome! We can likely help you. Part of my vocational job is actually serving as an advisor to a cohort of general surgery residents on directing their research projects. They are also required to have a scholarly publication by the time of graduation. They are at a community hospital smaller than yours, but it is a Level I Trauma center. What program year are you?

So feel free to ask specific questions in a new thread. Heads up, I am going to make you define the research question, variables of interest, and sample.