Help with chi-square goodness of fit test analysis?

Can someone help me analyze the following table?

Activity Women (%) Men (%) X² p value
cooking 80 37 15.4 0.000
washing dishes 80 37 10.1 0.001
bedmaking 63 24 9.4 0.002
doing laundry 55 17 9.3 0.002
sweeping 40 12 6.2 0.013
doing outdoor work 10 29 2.8 ns
vacuuming 25 15 1.00 ns

so the question is:
1.)I need to test my null and my alternate. Explain goodness of fit, does my expected match?
2. why is such a test appropriate for this table
3. explain your understanding of this test using p value
4. are they able to do all 5 activites at alpha 0.05? show your understanding of p values. Are all these tests significant or not?

so this is what i have so far:
My null: are men and women able to resume these activities equally?
If they are able to do it equally than both my observed and expected values are at 50% each.
I row, 2 columns. This is a test of independence because I have both observed and expected frequencies. X² critical is 3.84 from the chi square table at alpha 0.05. So i figured if X² is less than 3.84, than my test is non significant (NS).

I'm having some problems answering some of the questions above, any help is much appreciated :) thanks all:yup:

Mean Joe

TS Contributor
If they are able to do it equally than both my observed and expected values are at 50% each.
If they were able to do it equally, then your expected values would be 50% each. (Observed values could differ slightly from 50%, because of random variation).

My null: are men and women able to resume these activities equally?

I row, 2 columns. This is a test of independence because I have both observed and expected frequencies. X² critical is 3.84 from the chi square table at alpha 0.05.
The critical value for X^2 is 3.84 if you have only 1 df.
From what I've read of this problem, it looks like you are testing if there is a difference between men and women in ANY of the activities? In this case, with 7 activities/rows, you would have 6 df.

But I may be wrong:

4. are they able to do all 5 activities at alpha 0.05? show your understanding of p values. Are all these tests significant or not?
I'm counting 7 activities in the table above. So I'm not sure what your null hypothesis (hypotheses?) is. Are they only counting the 5 activities that are significant?