Hi Fellow Data Lovers!

Hi Everyone

My name is Marianna. I recently graduated with a bachelor's degree in Mathematics and began a position in Transportation Logistics as an Operations Analyst. In the fall I will be beginning Graduate work in Systems Engineering. I am finding my new job to be quite the learning experience as they want to utilize my education as much as possible. My first two projects include doing time series analysis in R to improve a current algorithm we are using and the second is creating a visual representation of our daily statistics in Tableau. So far google has been my best friend, but this forum looks like an invaluable resource as well!!

Other random introduction information: I am from the great mitten state, Michigan. I love to cook. I have a cat named Sandwich(aka Sammy).

trinker

ggplot2orBust
:welcome:

Marianna said:
second is creating a visual representation of our daily statistics in Tableau
We also tend to like R here. Have you tried doing these visualizations in R (perhaps using ggplot2 as the output seems similar). This would keep everything in one program and R is free (plus you already have the background to use R). If you combined this with knitr you could have automatic reports pretty easily.

I love to cook. I have a cat named Sandwich(aka Sammy).
This worries me. Do you plan to eat Sammy? :D

Also I wanted to note that since you'e an R user and new here how to wrap data/code in code tags:

When you're posting code, dataframes or computer output it's helpful to wrap this information in code tags by:
  1. either clicking the pound (#) sign icon or
  2. wrap with [NOPARSE]
    Code:
    some code
    [/NOPARSE]

which produces:
Code:
some code
For more see this (LINK)

Thanks for the tips trinker!

This would keep everything in one program and R is free (plus you already have the background to use R).
My company has purchased licenses already for tableau and are integrating the reports into our websites already. So I'm forced to work with it. The plus side is that anything I do in R, I can reproduce in tableau fairly easily and use almost the same SQL. The down side to tableau is I don't always know what calculations it's using. I had difficulty figuring out whether it was using days or hours when subtracting dates(eventually found it but that's work I wish I didn't have to do).

As far as my R skills are concerned.... I'm pretty much a noob. I feel like I have caught on very quickly though, it helps having other programming experience.