How do I know if I can use other researcher's measurements or scales for free?

Hi! anyone, I am doing a study with some measurements or scales invented in other studies. I am wondering where can I know if the scale that I use is registered or not ? One of my teacher told me I need to get the permission from the scale creator before I use it. But I do I know if the scale is registered or not? Also, some of the author might have passed away over the years, If so, who should I contact to ?
Many thanks!~

hlsmith

Less is more. Stay pure. Stay poor.
Was the instrument ever present in a research paper and where did you find the scoring key? What did a basic internet search turn up?

Was the instrument ever present in a research paper and where did you find the scoring key? What did a basic internet search turn up?
Yes, the instrument was used in a research paper, but I am not sure if I can use it directly, or I have to contact the researcher first, I am going to be using the minority stress scale mentioned in the article below.

here is the file: https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Cultural-context-matters:-Testing-the-minority-men.-Sun-Hoyt/b99b2e816988e48dedab74499fa65281ffcdac7b#paper-header

Last edited: