How do we create this sort of slides?

ledzep

Point Mass at Zero
I always use Powerpoint for creating my slides. However, I have been wondering for quite some time, how do we create slides which look like this:-

http://www.nd.edu/~steve/Rcourse/Lecture5v1.pdf

At the bottom right, there are whole host of buttons to go backwards, search and what not...

This is not in MS powerpoint. Defo not!
Was this done in Latex or any packages?

TheEcologist

Global Moderator
I've currently moved on to the "next gen" slides for presentations. Scalable vector graphics with xml markup language to set 'views' you can make knockout presentations with these.

Exaple is this prezi demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8lomCTnIC0&feature=related

Prezi is capitalizing on what is dead simple to do with a vector graphic program like opensource Inkscape. So don't bother buying prezi.
If you can use photoshop, you can make svg style presentations.

edit: I can post a tutorial if you like!

trinker

ggplot2orBust
LedZep said:
Thanks for the link Dason. I want to learn LaTeX badly. Looks look LaTeX is a must in this day and age.
I took the plunge about 6 months ago (not that I've learned latex fully) but I can make pretty nice reports that wow others, are very functional (linked in text citation and urls of anything including the citations).

It impresses my qualitative profs (I think) because they aren't used to seeing this. (Generally I don't use word any more)

ledzep, for me the hardest part is the initial set up. I also purchased winedt (I think this is for windows) as my text editor and have really liked this a lot. I started by using just miktex and what comes with it which was slower and less user friendly.

I was scared but others here pushed me to take the plunge and I'm glad I did.

ledzep

Point Mass at Zero
ledzep, for me the hardest part is the initial set up.
True. The first part is always the hardest part. At the moment, I am feeling like a headless chicken, not sure how would I be able to learn LaTeX. I have got Miktex and found it bit tough to digest. May be, it takes a bit of time to get used to with things. Seems like now is the time to take the plunge!

TheEcologist

Global Moderator
I took the plunge about 6 months ago (not that I've learned latex fully) but I can make pretty nice reports that wow others, are very functional (linked in text citation and urls of anything including the citations).

It impresses my qualitative profs (I think) because they aren't used to seeing this. (Generally I don't use word any more)

ledzep, for me the hardest part is the initial set up. I also purchased winedt (I think this is for windows) as my text editor and have really liked this a lot. I started by using just miktex and what comes with it which was slower and less user friendly.

I was scared but others here pushed me to take the plunge and I'm glad I did.
I envy you trinker. Almost none of the journals in my field accept latex and none of my co-authors use latex. I love latex but cant use it for things other than making my CV or other personal use documents. Sucks.. but so is life.