How to use the Z-test or T-Test given the sample of a non-normal population

Hi Everyone, I've tried my best to stay away from forums because I like to try to learn things on my own, but this is the third assignment I've had in this class and I'm baffled by it.

I don't want to copy it verbatim in case the prof is watching. We are given the sample data of non-normal population. The prof is asking us to determine whether it's likely that the population mean is 38. Also, he has stated that we should choose either the Z-test, t-test, or f-test. He also said it's not likely the Z because z is only for normal distributions.

I immediately worked out the descriptive statistics:

Xbar = 38.39
Sample standard deviation = 0.42
Count = 31

And starting working out the critical values for the T-Test, but I realized that I can't do this because if the population is non-normal, therefore the sample should also be non-normal, correct?

We learned about the central limit theorem in class, but i'm not sure how it would apply here. Perhaps I could use the mean of this sample to create a distribution of means? However this doesn't help me because the count would only be 1, and therefore the degrees of freedom would be 0. I couldn't use the Z-test here either because I don't know the population standard deviation.

I hope someone can help me. The raw data is below.

Thanks!

Anyone?

I may just use the t-test directly and hope for the best. It seems the sample data is normally distributed so this might be my saving grace.

rogojel

TS Contributor
Hi,
two quick observations:

1. the Z test is not applicable because you do not have an independent estimate of the population standard deviation. If you estimate the std dev from the sample you need a t distribution, which will be fairly close tonthe normal for samples above roughly 30, BTW.
2. If you worry about the population being non-normal you should go for a non-parametric test. As your choice is t or Z, with f an obvious trap question for the unwary, you should go with the t-test as it is quite robust against deviations from normality and the Z is unfeasible anyway.

regards

Hi,
two quick observations:

1. the Z test is not applicable because you do not have an independent estimate of the population standard deviation. If you estimate the std dev from the sample you need a t distribution, which will be fairly close tonthe normal for samples above roughly 30, BTW.
2. If you worry about the population being non-normal you should go for a non-parametric test. As your choice is t or Z, with f an obvious trap question for the unwary, you should go with the t-test as it is quite robust against deviations from normality and the Z is unfeasible anyway.

regards
Thank you! I ended up using the t-test like you said!!