[Interview]: Get to know bugman!

bugman

Super Moderator
Mine are coded in a proprietary format - you wouldn't want them.
I actually took them last night without you knowing and planted a command to upload a new avatar of a picture of a bot-eye.

But actually I miss the dog smoking a pipe and wearing a top-hat.

bugman

Super Moderator
3. Theory behind probability distributions and when to apply them. Also I would like to understand time series and zero inflated models better. AND I would love to have Jakes knowledge about the lme4 pakage and mixed models. (Its not too much to ask is it?)
EDIT - I would really like to learn/understand more about Baysian methods. Most of the reading I have done is pretty heavy on Math and notations. I would like to see some nice applied examples.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
1) What kind of things would you like to see a Bayesian analysis of?

2) Do you remember when you were made a moderator here? Did quark let you know ahead of time or did you just show up and had elevated privileges?

3) How have you been liking Linux? What distro are you using these days?

4) Do you know any other programming languages other than R?

5) What is your favorite joke?

6) If I gave you $5 would you ban trinker?

gianmarco

TS Contributor
Wait...I did not know...
Ok, I guess that you will not ban trinker from now on, since you are now aware of his interest in CA :)

By the way, I would like if you could share with me (us) your study(ies) in which you make use of CA. What program do you use? (R I guess)

bugman

Super Moderator
1) What kind of things would you like to see a Bayesian analysis of?

2) Do you remember when you were made a moderator here? Did quark let you know ahead of time or did you just show up and had elevated privileges?

3) How have you been liking Linux? What distro are you using these days?

4) Do you know any other programming languages other than R?

5) What is your favorite joke?

6) If I gave you $5 would you ban trinker?

Cool questions and thansk for the interest!!

1) Water catchment issues would be good (water quality mainly). I know that it is being a fair bit in my state, but I have seen little evidence of the output, so I am a little unsure whether prople are using it becasue it is the latest "trend" or whether they truely understand it and its applications in this area.

2) Yes I do. Quark and I discussed the SM status, but as for contributor status I just logged in one day to find that I had it. It was before your good self started the nomination process, so I think I was made a contributor when others like MP83, Martingale, John M and a few others started visiting less frequently.

3) LOVE LINUX LOVE IT. I am using puppy linux on my old laptop, but MINT (MATE) 13 on my "beast" with r-studio. I tried Cinnamon and like iit ok, but the version I had was very buggy. I want to try Fedora next - maybe, but right now I love MINT. I was getting a bit tired of unity so quit Ubuntu.

4) No. Affraid not. I tried python for a bit, but just didnt get it.

5) A piece of twisted and worn rope walks into a bar and asks for a drink. The bar tender replies are you a piece of rope becasue we dont serve your kind here. the rope replies - "no I am a frayed knot"

6) US Dollars?

If trinker hadn't been so kind in helping me out with some ggplot2 stuff recently I would say yes. Raptors and followers there of, should be banned.

CB

Super Moderator
In another thread I think you mentioned that you get into a bit of home-brewing... :) What kind of beer is your favourite? Any recipes of your own you're particularly proud of?

gianmarco

TS Contributor
ca I found it easier to use than MASS for some reason. But this was a while ago, I may have to revisit this to look at the differences.
I have written an R script to perform CA. It aims to pick the best from the pachages ca, FactoMiner, and anacor. I have also written a paper illustrating the use (and the pros) of the script (from an archaeological standpoint, but it could be interesting also to a more general audience).
If you want, I could let you read a draft.
Gm

bugman

Super Moderator
In another thread I think you mentioned that you get into a bit of home-brewing... :) What kind of beer is your favourite? Any recipes of your own you're particularly proud of?
Favorate? Thats a tricky one CB. I have to say my tastes are seasonal. In the winter I cant go past Porter or Guiness and I love Montieths Black and Bock.
Summer - Pilsners and Largers.

The one I am proud of most is a batch of Czech Pils that I made last Summer it had 12 different hops in it and worked beatifully. Im not sure it was the best tasting beer ever, but the fact that it didn't explode, made it special to me.

Movies? Wow, thats tricky. I love the usual suspects, lord of the rings, pulp fiction, reservoir dogs, kill bill, star wars and anything with Bill Murray in it.
+1 to all these perfect movies. Which movies are your most disliked ones? Do you like action movies which are made for the sake of showing off action and technology? Your taste shows you like more complicated movies. But would be glad if you tell us more.
----------------
I am glad I can know you better now. Your name always reminded me of the Bugman in WWE! Its so great that you have been into stats with your totally different backgrounds.

My questions might be repetitious because I had asked these from Dason, and some future questions were asked from myself. But I am interested to know these about you too:

1. How old are you?
2. Are you married?
3. Could you rank the ten best things you like (or whatever number you are comfortable with)? Why?
4. Could you please rank the ten worst things you hate most (or whatever number you like), and why?
5. To which extent do you consider yourself successful? To which extent are you satisfied with your current position and successes? I mean generally, excluding the short-term fluctuations.

Thanks for your reply in advance. I would ask you so many further questions too, if you don't mind :)

-------------

3) this is really hard. I was a professional chef before returning to study ecology and statistics, so its tough. But actually, I love simple food done well. I love pasta, seafood and am particulalry keen on lamb sagwalah and dossi. Can't beat a good cheeseburger though!
I agree with Vinux that it is awesme :)