[Interview]: Interview with a cookie fanatic: Get to know Jake

hlsmith

Less is more. Stay pure. Stay poor.
What are your favorite cookies? Are animal crackers really crackers? Have you ever seen the movie the Hustler? Are you glad Colorado left the Big 12? Do you plan on staying in Colorado. Do you feel like you have super cardio powers when you go to lower altitudes? When do you tentatively think you will finish your PhD?

Jake

Cookie Scientist
What are your favorite cookies?
Oatmeal chocolate chip!

Are animal crackers really crackers?
Don't be fooled -- they are cookies deep undercover.

Have you ever seen the movie the Hustler?
No. Is it any good?

Are you glad Colorado left the Big 12?
It's hard to think of something that I care less about.

Do you plan on staying in Colorado.
As much as I would love to stay in Colorado, the odds of this actually ending up being a tenable option for me are very low. I'm pretty much going to have to go wherever the jobs are.

Do you feel like you have super cardio powers when you go to lower altitudes?
I have to be honest, I have tested this several times, and I have never noticed any difference. Of course there has usually been some confounding factors so it's hard to tell for sure (e.g., most of my tests have been when I usually visit my family in Oklahoma for a little while over the summers, and it's hard to run with that kind of heat and humidity).

When do you tentatively think you will finish your PhD?
The original plan has always been to graduate Spring 2014 and I remain confident that I can make it out by then. But ask me again in a year ;).

Are Fig Newtons really fruit and cake or are they actually classified as a cookie?
This is a tough one, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to say that Fig Newtons are not cookies.

Jake

Cookie Scientist
Sorry guys I totally forgot that there were unanswered questions.

Are there any methods in statistics that you think are downright wrong and wished they'd go away? If so why?
There is never any reason, as far as I can see, to do a median split. Some argue that, although they agree that median splits should be avoided in the actual analysis of one's data, they can nevertheless be useful during the presentation and summary of results. I think this view is also wrong. If you want to summarize what happens at the high and low end of some continuous predictor, you can just as easily talk about what happens with the predictor at, say, 1 standard deviation above and below the mean of that variable according to your model. In terms of requisite statistical knowledge this is no more demanding than understanding a median split, and it has the very desirable property that the numbers you report are derived from your actual statistical model, instead of being based on something that is conceptually similar but not really the same.

Also... one-tailed hypothesis tests. In practice they end up just being a somewhat sneaky way to double your alpha level. If this is what you want to do, then fine, but just say you are adopting a more liberal alpha level, don't feed me a dubious line about the observed effect being in the direction you privately predicted...

How long have you been using this data.table package? As far as I can tell, you're the resident expert now lol
I believe I started getting acquainted with it very shortly after joining this forum... so that would be Summer 2011.

hlsmith

Figs definitely aren't cookies. Would you want them with milk or ice cream or in a blizzard, not me. I lived in southern US for awhile and saw that chocolate chip cookies typically went flat, and figured thats why they have pralines. Are there any cookies that are better/worse in the altitude or is that why everyone in CO seem to be eating granola?

hlsmith

Just saw a slew of no-bake thin mint recipes. Will ask my wife to make and I will post a review of the results. Thin mints are definitely on the top ten of cookies. They seem to be a chocolate covered wafer cookie. If the product is even remotely comparable - I will champion no-bake cookies, since prior - I could not think of any no-bake cookie that was half decent.

Update, they seem to just be Ritz crackers cover with chocolate.