Issues with Star Plots

maike

Hi Everyone!
This may sound silly, but for some reason I can't get R to plot pretty star diagrams using stars(). The 'wheels' that I get don't look right (i.e. they don't match my data), so now I'm thinking there must be a problem with the way I've set up my input data. (I'm new to R, can you tell?;)

So a simple question, really: What does my data frame need to look like to get star plots? I have 3 different 'treatments', with 4 different variables each. So I would like three different segment diagrams, each with four segments of varying lengths...if that makes sense.

If I use a data frame of 3 rows (treatments) x 4 columns (variables) and type in "stars(mydata, draw.segments = TRUE)", then I get only one star plot in addition to the unit key. Why?

Any advice would be most welcome!!

Thanks
Maike

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Are you sure you're only getting one one plot? Note that by default stars scales the data so that the minimum value in a column goes to 0 and the max goes to 1. So some star plots can just look like lines and not like stars.

maike

Hey Dason - thanks for the response. And yeah, just after I posted this question I kind of figured that out too...You're right, my scaling was all wrong. So that's taken care of a major issue, which is great! Thanks!!