MDS/Euclidian distance - How to plot both the cases and the variables in one graph

SOLVED MDS/Euclidian distance-How to plot both the cases and the variables in 1 graph

Hi,

I am using Multidimensional Scaling alscal in SPSS to create a perceptual map with 9 cases, based on 17 attributes. I have figured out how to get a perceptual map based on de Euclidian Distances between the cases and the map shows the cases. However, I also want to plot the attributes in this map, to show which cases are close to which attributes. I have seen in example theses that people did this (I believe also with MDS alscal), but it doesn't make clear how they did this. If anyone can give me a hint on how to do this I would be very grateful!

Thanks in advance!

- Cindy

Last edited:
Re: MDS/Euclidian distance - How to plot both the cases and the variables in one grap

Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply! I tried Correspondence Analysis in SPSS, but this wasn't an option for my dataset. However, I did figure out (with some old college material) how to plot both cases and variables in one perceptual map. Apparently, instead of computing distances, I had to click on the option that said that my data was rectangular with 9 rows. And that was all :)

gianmarco

TS Contributor
Re: MDS/Euclidian distance - How to plot both the cases and the variables in one grap

uhmmmm...I am curios to know what's the rationale behind that....
Anyway, glad to hear that you sorted the problem out.

Cheers
gm