perfect collinearity.

noetsi

Fortran must die
I don't really understand why this occurs. Say you have a categorical variable with 5 levels. You are supposed to generate 4 dummies, k-1. If not, my understanding, you get perfect col-linearity and the model should fail. But I have accidentally done this many times and the model worked.

noetsi

Fortran must die
I have not noticed this, but I ran a test in SAS to see. I am not sure how the software would even know that the 71 dummies added as separate variables were related to a categorical variable. But that raises an interesting point. If I have a variable with 71 levels coded 1 or 0 and I add all 71 levels would the software realize this. And would including all 71 generate perfect collinearity.

noetsi

Fortran must die
I do not see an excluded level. And it estimated all the variables as far as I can tell. I am not sure what is occurring, maybe the fact that they make up all our units does not matter for the math here.

hlsmith

Less is more. Stay pure. Stay poor.
SAS knows composite combinations, look in the log to double check. Why do it with 71 vars when you could do it with say gender?

noetsi

Fortran must die
SAS knows composite combinations, look in the log to double check. Why do it with 71 vars when you could do it with say gender?
I have 71 units and I want to know their impact. I am not sure what that has to do with gender or any other variable?? This is specifically to see the impact of the 71 units controlling for other variables.